Help Wild rabbits, Mom DEAD

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by BlackSilkey, Jun 1, 2008.

1. BlackSilkey

BlackSilkey Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2008
    So my friends and I were at the park and saw a nest of baby rabbits and the mother was going to eat and was hit by a car and died so my friends dad is a vets assitant and said to bring them home all 7 of them and was wondering if you guys know if your border would be a good place to keep them in as pets for about 6 months and than give them away for free at the vets office.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
  2. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    I'd contact a wildlife rehabilitator. How old are they? I'm guessing young enough to still need to be nursed which means you'd need to bottle feed. It's hard to raise wild rabbits...and honestly, if I had to, I'd try to raise them to release them back in to the wild. Not get a profit off of them.

3. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I second what asher said.

What is a border? I can't even imagine thinking of selling them! [​IMG] Get them to someone who can give them what they need then allow them to be free.

4. BlackSilkey

Apr 30, 2008
    We aren't selling them for profit but for pets and they will be free not 100 dollars like they are at petsmart.We are going to givethem to the vet except for 3 thoes will be my friends pets lots of people have wild prt rabbits where we live becaus of the prdatours that get the moms here in the middle of noewere(where i live literaly!) and I have hand raised a wild hamster batch, a wild rabbit, and a bacth of domestic hamster.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
  5. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    I think they mean brooder.

Sell does not equal = free. Hence the confusion...or part of it.

6. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    You can't sell something for free.

Anyway, if you are determined to raise them they will need bottle fed a replacement formula. Not sure what is best for rabbits...someone here knows. There are people who have raised orphaned rabbits on here so I am sure someone will jump in here pretty soon.

7. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Agree with contacting a wildlife rehab person. Crucial to do very quickly. Baby bunnies are very fragile and must be fed the right stuff at the right intervals.

Very sad about the mom. Many (not all, but many) of these incidents are avoidable with better driving - and so often people do not think of the fact that what they hit may have offspring that will also starve to death when mom can't come home.

Thanks for trying to help them.

JJ

8. BlackSilkey

Apr 30, 2008
    I know what to feed them heres the proucuder youtake a slice of white bread, dip it in kiitten replacement fourmala and they take the milk and the fat and nutrients from the bread.

9. pixiechick

pixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Jonesborough, TN
    There's more to raising infant wild animals than just feeding them. The very yound need to be stimulated to go to the bathroom, et.

10. talos321

talos321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Read this guy's page. This worked well with the three I found where the neighbor's cat killed the mother. One was released and the other two I kept upon recommendation from my vet because they became much too tame to be released (free roams the house with my cats, sleeps on my pillow, watches tv..etc) They did so because I handled those two a lot because of injuries. I went by his recommendations to a T and had no problems with them.

http://squirrelworld.com/RabRehab.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by