Help! Will collecting eggs daily cause lack of my wanted broodiness?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by pickinchicken, Jan 5, 2014.

1. pickinchicken

pickinchicken Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2014
    Missouri
    I have been collecting the eggs from my 2 Cochins and 3 red sex links. ( there are also one barred rock rooster and 4 Guineas in the coop.) this is my first year with chickens and I get 3 eggs a day. I was wondering if by collecting the eggs daily I am going to cause a lack of broodiness? I would like to try for hatching some chicks naturally this spring but I wasn't sure if a hen will become broody. Do I just leave the eggs when I'm ready for this to happen and maybe it will spark interest in one to become broody? Should I start leaving eggs now once in awhile or is it ok to take all eggs daily? I'd like to try for hatching late spring. Thanks so much for any help!

2. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    "They say" that leaving eggs piled up in the nest will make hens go broody, but I've had hens that never went broody and had others that went broody on an empty nest.
    If you're getting 3 eggs per day you can let them pile up in the nest for several days until you get a clutch of a dozen or so eggs to "spark interest." Use a Sharpie or a pencil to identify the eggs as they are laid each day so you can rotate the older ones out to eat and keep the fresher ones in the nest in case a hen goes broody. It's best not to accumulate them for more than 10 days because both the edibility & hatchability decreases after that, but I have eaten & hatched eggs that were in the nest for up to 3 weeks.
    Hope that helps.

3. pickinchicken

pickinchicken Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2014
    Missouri
    So can I keep taking the eggs and the nest be empty until late spring and then try the let the eggs pile up? I just wasn't sure if taking all of the eggs until then is ok or if it would cause them to not go broody when the time comes that I do let the eggs pile up

4. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    Gathering all the eggs now will not prevent their going broody later in the spring.

5. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    It can and then it can't. I'd mark two or three eggs and leave in their favorite nest as it will reinforce the idea. However, I've also seen them when they set on their fluff. Depends on the chicken. Your cochins probably will set on their fluff.

6. The Chickeneer

The Chickeneer ~A Morning's Crow~

I've had hens go broody on no eggs, or just one egg. And I've had hens that never go broody even with a nest full of eggs. If it's their first time, then it might take a while to catch on.

It really depends on the chicken. But in theory yes, leaving eggs will further encourage broodiness. What I do is mark the eggs that they lay and just leave them in the nest. Once there is a good number of them, I start collecting the rest and just leave the marked ones in there for her. You don't want to let the marked ones sit there for more that two weeks, because then they are too old to hatch. So if the hen doesn't go broody within two weeks of laying the clutch, just take all the eggs out and start all over.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by