HELP! Will it hatch?!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Haveandtohold, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Haveandtohold

Haveandtohold Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2013
    Boulder,CO
    I'm hatching quail eggs for the first time and yesterday I foolishly decided to take an egg out to examine a little and then I dropped it. [​IMG] It held together ok but was seriously cracked all over the side it fell on. It was day 6 for that egg and I wasn't sure what to do so I put it back in the incubator till I decided. This morning I went to work covering the cracks in pink nail polish to seal it and to help mark which one had the crack. Here's a photo of it:
    [​IMG]
    It might be hard to see but anything that looks like a crack in the photo probably is!

So I throw myself on the mercy of your expertise friends! Should I pull this egg or give it a go? I'll be happy enough if none of them hatch but if they're all half deformed, sickly little things and I have no one else to blame but myself that might be too much for my heart to handle! [​IMG]

2. 1000yearoldeggs

1000yearoldeggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    western pa
    I tried candle wax to seal a cracked egg, but it didn't make it. I think as a precaution you're supposed to put that one separate in case of bacteria, I think some people put it in a cup. It's up to you if you want to keep it in there, some people don't risk it; bacteria can destroy all of the other eggs. Good luck with your eggs either way.[​IMG]

3. Haveandtohold

Apr 5, 2013
    Boulder,CO
    Aw, yeah somehow I suspected it wasn't really worth it since it's so early. I'd never risk it with a chicken egg that's only to day 6 but that's almost halfway for a quail egg so it was a tough call.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  4. Haveandtohold

Apr 5, 2013
    Boulder,CO
    The song from Annie "Hard Knock Life" has been stuck in my head since I dropped this egg. I figured if I can't share how corny I am here and be accepted there's no hope for me in this world. [​IMG]

5. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quail eggs dehydrate at light speed once cracked. My auto turner cracks excessively large eggs when turning sometimes. Within a day they will be almost empty.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by