HELP!! Will they be ok?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by muscovy94, May 31, 2010.

1. muscovy94

muscovy94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    I am in Texas visiting family and will be here for 2 weeks. Well yesterday a friend of mine gave me 18 chicken eggs and 17 pheasant eggs, and we don't have an incubator here, so do you think they will still be viable in two weeks when I get home and can put them in the bator?

THanks.

2. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    You'll lose some viability, but most of them should still be good. Don't wait too long though! Also, you can increase their chances by storing them at around 50 degrees if possible, and turning them once a day.

Good luck!

3. SAORSA

SAORSA Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Wine Country
    Last edited: May 31, 2010
  4. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    If they have a wine fridge, that is perfect storage. Put it on 55deg and turn everyday. Some won't make it, but some will. See if that person can give you some eggs before you leave.

5. muscovy94

muscovy94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    I'm currently storing them in egg cartons with the pointy end down. do I still need to turn them? If so how do I turn them if they are in an egg carton? OR should I just take them out of the carton and lay them on their side?

6. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    You can store them in egg cartons. Just prop one side of the carton at a 90-degree angle. Resting one side on a book works great for that. Each morning (or afternoon or whatever), simply prop the opposite side of the carton. This just prevents the yolk & incipient embryo from sticking to one side or the other of the shell. It's not strictly necessary, but should increase your hatchability percentage by a bit.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by