1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

help winter !!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by caya28, Oct 8, 2012.

1. caya28

caya28 New Egg

Oct 3, 2012
    brighton co
    im a new chicken lover never had or even crossed my mind to raise chickens now i have a 1 yr old golden sex link and 5 silkie chicks its very cold snow already startes and my chickn coop is a large shed what can i do to keep it war for the chicks that is when they are old enough to be in there now they are in my house with a heating lamp

2. LillyBantam

LillyBantam Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2011
    Alkham, Dover, Kent. UK
    Welcome to the addictive world of chickens, youll love it.It would depending how old the chicks are? Is the 1 year old hen the broody hen? Are the chicks under her? If they are under her she shoulder ivied enough heat for them. You can just make sure she has a nice plump nest to sit on and no draughts.

If they are not under a broody hen they need a heat lamp until they are fully feathered. Even longer if its very cold.

Tell us a Lille more about their ages etc.

3. LillyBantam

LillyBantam Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2011
    Alkham, Dover, Kent. UK
    Oh sorry, just read your post properly. .. They're under heat. That's good. Chickens like somewhere cosy to roost, so some type of chicken house with perches will be perfect. With nest boxes to encourage somewhere safe to lay their eggs. In very cold weather I bank the edges up with extra straw/hay. But chickens cope pretty well with the cold weather when they're older. Silkies however need to be rigorously protected from the rain. They're not water proof with their fluffy feathers.

Anything else you'd like to know? There is lots of friendly help own here. I have learn so much from BYC!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  4. caya28

caya28 New Egg

Oct 3, 2012
    brighton co
    Thank you so much

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by