Help with 1 month old duckling

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Gingersnp, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Gingersnp

Gingersnp Out Of The Brooder

Hey Y'all! I have (4) 1 month old ducklings. Two of them are Pekin. The biggest of the two has somehow managed to flip itself on to its back twice. It does this at some point during the day when Im at work so I find it like that when I get home. Does anyone knowwhat might be going on? Any advice?

2. Onlyducks

Onlyducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2014
    Is there anything he/she could fall over or off of?
    Does he/she seem okay once you turn him/her over or does the duckling stagger or act different?
    Are the other ducklings perhaps knocking it over?

If you can separate the one, that might give you some clues as to what is happening.

3. Gingersnp

Gingersnp Out Of The Brooder

It does act different once turned over but I think its because it has been on its back for so long trying to get up. After awhile it levels out and is ok again. Its just just weird. I think if I separated it, it might go insane. They freak out if you take one away.

4. Onlyducks

Onlyducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2014
    You generally can separate them with a wire wall so they can see and touch each other but not actually push on or hurt each other. I have done that when one is injured. Leaving them together runs the risk that as they get older, the others may decide to kill the one that's "different". If it only happens when you're at work and not at night, that would seem to indicate the other three ducklings are involved.

I guess just watch the duckling and see. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by