Help with 15 week old silkie! Strange symptoms..

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by leadwolf1, Aug 22, 2011.

1. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    ) What type of bird , age and weight. Splash silkie, 13 weeks...weight, unknown
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. She will fine absolutely fine, running around the yard acting like a normal chicken...then she will stop and her head will start shaking back and forth really fast...she will scratch at it with her foot, wait a sec and all is fine. Seems to be made worse with excitement/stress.
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? 3 - 4 days
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? Not at this time. I had one several weeks ago that was pecked hard in the head. He has since recovered completely. They are the same age
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. None.
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. She could have been pecked by one of the bigger birds...
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Eats and drinks fine, crop is always full at night
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Normal that I have seen. Haven't seen any since bringing her in.
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Poly vi sol...this is what I used to treat the other one. Plus some R&R. Fed some mealworms and brought her inside today to rest
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I would love to treat myself...if I knew how. Can take her to the vet, my vet treats or he would give me some Prednisone if I needed it.

Please help! She is the nicest looking silkie that I have out of this batch of chicks! I don't want her to suffer but she doesn't seem to be getting worse, just doesn't seem to be improving. Any thoughts/suggestions???????

She has no discharges of any kind, eyes are bright/clear. She eats like a pig instead of a chicken...she is full of energy and seems happy when her head doesn't wiggle....

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  2. leadwolf1

May 1, 2011
    Update...

She is resting comfortably, has eaten a handful of mealworms, with no head wiggles for an hour. Please, if someone could give me some suggestions as to what to do next. She is used to being with her 4 buddies so I don't know how long she will be happy inside by herself.

3. leadwolf1

May 1, 2011
    She finally pooped...it is very well formed and normal......

4. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Check her ears, I would think the head shaking has something to do with that, if there aren't any other symptoms. Maybe water, or mites, may have gotten in...

5. leadwolf1

May 1, 2011
    Thanks, I'll give that a try....she looks more like a bobble head doll then just shaking her head though....

6. leadwolf1

May 1, 2011
    As long as she has been inside, about 4 hours, I have seen almost no signs of the bobble head affect....anyone know of anything that this could be? I'm really worried about mareks but I have had no one with symptoms past the wobbling head....and that one recovered. No one else is showing symptoms...nothing wrong with her ears.

She is soooooo cute....too big for the brooder, peeking her head out over to say hi! Quiet and happy pecking at a baby cake and enjoying all the food she can eat [​IMG]

7. leadwolf1

May 1, 2011
    Update...still doing well. Symptoms aren't as pronounced in the house. Resting alot and eating...still waiting for some advice from someone with silkie knowledge!!

8. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Silkies can have vaults, which make them more prone to brain damage. If she hit her head or was pecked by another chicken, maybe she has some brain damage. I did have a silkie that did this several years ago.

9. leadwolf1

May 1, 2011
    Thank you, she is vaulted...she appears to be doing better with having some R & R in the kitchen [​IMG] I will just continue to hope that she improves. Do you think I should try to get some pred or just wait it out???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by