Help with 1st incubator build

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by aaronrich85, Mar 11, 2015.

1. aaronrich85

aaronrich85 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2015
    Weaverville, NC
    So I just finished my first incubator build and need a little help. Its 18 wide 21 deep and 36 high. I installed a 60cfm fan and a 250 watt element. It has a 6" wide 2" deep false back that's 36" high with a 1"x6" wide gap at the bottom to help aid in circulation. I fired it up for the first time last night and have roughly a 10* difference between the too and bottom. Any ideas on how to help get then closer together (add another heat source, another fan, etc.) Thanks in advance.

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Where is your heat source? I only have experience with one build, which was a very simple 15 x 15 x 10" foam box, thermostat, computer fan, 2 x 40W bulbs. I'm thinking that since heat rises, the element would be best in the bottom. I had to add a few foil baffles to help even out the heat in mine, and I still have a 2* gradient in my small box. Or, could you put the element in the middle with a fan blowing both up and down? What are you using for a thermostat?

3. aaronrich85

Mar 11, 2015
    Weaverville, NC
    The element is in the top approximately 2" in front of the fan. I'm using the thermostat from incubator warehouse that I've seen a lot of people on here use. I can't figure out if I need a higher wattage element or perhaps a different fan. Also how can I tell if I have static pressure in the cabinet and can that cause my heat not to circulate properly.

4. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    How many ventilation holes do you have? What size, where located? You might want to contact Ozexpat. He's got a lot of experience building larger incubators.

5. BobMcDuff

BobMcDuff Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2015
    South Jersey, USA
    Where is the fan and what direction is it blowing?

6. aaronrich85

Mar 11, 2015
    Weaverville, NC
    As of now I have no ventilation holes and the fan is located in the top blowing towards the front across the heating element. How many ventilation holes should I have, where should they be and what size is recommend

7. BobMcDuff

BobMcDuff Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2015
    South Jersey, USA
    As I'm still building mine take my advice as is, but at the least I would imagine that maybe you need a second fan possibly pointing at an angle to get some airflow in an up down direction. Also the location of your thermostat to your heat source can affect your temps, play with it closer first then further away if you don't get the results you are after. My first tests I was getting about a one degree setting but on a much smaller cooler.

8. HatchCraft

HatchCraft Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2011
    North Florida
    A large temperature spread is a sign of insufficient air flow. A 250 watt heating element is ok for that size incubator. You need to double or triple the current volume of air flow. Use a larger fan or multiple fans and enlarge the return air supply. Make sure there is sufficient clear space for the increased volume of air to freely circulate .

9. aaronrich85

Mar 11, 2015
    Weaverville, NC
    I have another fan I'll add later today. What after I figure out the temp variation what do you recommend as far as fresh air vents. Where do you typically add your fresh air supplies and vents[​IMG]

10. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Following with interest: I have a dorm fridge that I will eventually be converting. I do hope that when you get your design tweaked, you'll share drawings or photos of your set up, especially regarding location of heat source, square" of ventilation holes, and location, and fan size and location. Do you intend to do staggered hatches in this bator?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by