1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help with 2 day old duckling..ASAP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Calichicken2015, May 4, 2017.

1. Calichicken2015

Calichicken2015 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry to double post but I need some help[​IMG] I have a baby duckling...2 days old that was eating/drinking when I noticed that he was standing straight up...bill up...and he has water bubbling through his nares. He is breathing and peeping. He is shaking his head and some of the food water is coming out. Could he have a clump of food lodged? How do I help him?

2. LittlePea918

LittlePea918 Just Hatched

May 4, 2017
    Illinois USA
    I'm no expert on raising ducklings but it could be possible that food was caked in his lil nose. Have you tried giving him maybe a deeper dish of water so he could try and get it out on his own? Most people do this to solve this issue but your little guy is so young. I would watch him to make sure he didn't drown. He could also be choking. A piece of food could be stuck like you suggested. I've been looking across the internet and everyone is providing them with more water..Sorry I'm not the biggest help. Again, I don't raise ducklings often. Hope he gets better. [​IMG]

3. Calichicken2015

Thank you for trying to help! we did give him a dish of clear water to flush and drink and it seems he has worked out the issue[​IMG] Scared me to death!!!! They have a deep waterer to submerge their beaks..so not sure what happened. I made sure their food it wet mash with no dry spots!

4. LittlePea918

LittlePea918 Just Hatched

May 4, 2017
    Illinois USA
    Oh good! I'm glad everything is seeming to go ok now. [​IMG]

5. Calichicken2015

Thank you! me too! Haven't had any issues since...THANK GOODNESS!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by