Help with 2 wk old Polish chicks with red spots on their heads!?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Eggcitedpeeper, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Eggcitedpeeper

Eggcitedpeeper Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2012
    Florida
    I have 2 week old Polish chicks and they have red spots on top of their heads, is that normal? In the cage, there is also RIR chicks, Japanese bantams and Delaware chicks. Are the other chicks just picking on their heads? Almost every one of the polish chicks have these on their heads, there at 10 polish ones. I am pretty sure that is the reason (the other ones pecking their heads) but this is the first time I've gotten polish chicks so I just want to be sure. I have attached an image, if you have any suggestions, please share! :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Looks normal to me.

Polish should and do have a "vaulted" skull, a little bump on the head, so when the real feathers start growing in and the fluff disappears, you'll see the exposed bump on the head while the feathers are still developing and not quite released from their little shafts/encasings.

3. Eggcitedpeeper

Feb 8, 2012
    Florida
    Hmm, that makes a lot of sense. Thank you! [​IMG]

4. MrsMoonCat

MrsMoonCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    Madera, CA
    I had to seperate my Polish from my RIRs and Delawares as they plucked them bald. They were fascinated by the mops. They all grew up together, but that didn't seem to make a difference.

5. Eggcitedpeeper

Feb 8, 2012
    Florida

I sure hope that^ doesn't happen... i am thinking we might have to keep them separate but i hope we dont have to, because all out chickens are free range around out 6.5 acres and i would hate to keep the polish locked up. Or maybe i can switch, like one day let the polish out, the next let the others out, and keep doing that. Hmmmmm..... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by