Help with 3 week old chicks please

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by pasocowgirl, Feb 27, 2008.

1. pasocowgirl

pasocowgirl New Egg

Feb 26, 2008
    I am a real newbie! My husband brought home 2 beautiful little "Easter chicks" tonight. They are 3 weeks old. We have them in a cage in the kitchen under a heat lamp for warmth. I put some shavings on the bottom of the cage and some chick crumbles in a little feed dish. The chicks are pecking at the shavings. Should I remove the shavings? Any and all help is sincerely appreciated. Thanks.

2. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    Sounds like you're off to a good start. I don't use shavings for my chicks, I use paper towels for the first week or two until the chicks understand the difference between food and 'not food' (Or until they start to shred the paper towels, that's a fun teenager chick game). Good luck with your new chickens!

3. sfisher

sfisher Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2008
    Myrtle Beach
    Wood chips are ok for 3 week olds.

4. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    Quote:Same here I like to use paper towels cause its easy to clean I brood mine in the big plastic tubs from walmart,when they get their legs under them i put down plastic then news paper very easy cleanup

5. pasocowgirl

pasocowgirl New Egg

Feb 26, 2008
    Thanks so much for the great support. The babies are doing great!!!

6. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    I just posted a similar question! Congrats on your new babies. Are they Easter Eggers, the colored egg layers?

7. pasocowgirl

pasocowgirl New Egg

Feb 26, 2008
    Yep. They are Easter Eggers. Golden sex linked. My husband brought them home. Brown eggs. They are beautiful!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by