1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP with 5 day old chick... vent inflammed and cant poop!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fernandez0067, Apr 18, 2009.

1. fernandez0067

fernandez0067 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2008
    Schenectady
    HI there.
    I have 3 new chicks that I got from TSC

One of them has a really inflamed vent and poop stuck to it, when it poops the poor little thing strains so hard. I tried to get some of it off but its whole vent is huge and red.

The second chick isnt as bad but its definitley the same problem just not as bad

The third chick looks perfect.

What do I do??? HELP !

2. Sam The Yam

Sam The Yam Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Arizona
    Take a warm wet cloth and gently hold the chick in one hand and hold it's bottom to the warm moist cloth and get any dry poop off by simply getting it moist and massaging gently. The you could see if there is something that is plugging it up.
    Try that to start. If there are those more expert than I am, please feel free to tell me that this may not be the best way to start. I just remember when I was young and used to raise chicks I faintly recall doing that.

3. fernandez0067

Dec 2, 2008
    Schenectady
    I tried to get as much as I could off but its huge and red and i feel like Im hurting the poor little thing. !! Is this normal in chicks??

4. Turtle

Turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Lyles,TN
    yes, its normal to have happen. I had one that happened to and I soaked its little butt in warm water and then gentlely wipe off the poop.

5. fernandez0067

Dec 2, 2008
    Schenectady
    was it really big though? Its not just poop stuck on there its like jammed in and the vent is popping out of its little fuzzy butt

6. Sam The Yam

Apr 4, 2009
    Arizona
    It could be that there is some dried up inside like a plug. Just gently massage it with the warm slightly damp cloth every so often for awhile.

7. fernandez0067

Dec 2, 2008
    Schenectady
    ok i will !!! thanks for the advice

8. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Turn the chick over and drop some drops of olive oil on the vent and let it sit for a second or two. It should cause the chick to "go". Also give it a couple of drops via beak. You may have to do this more than once but it should get unclogged.

9. Sam The Yam

Apr 4, 2009
    Arizona
    Let us know if it you are able to see good progress.

10. Redhead Hen

Redhead Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Rising Sun, Maryland
    I too have one chick with a swollen vent. But it is pooing. I will try to soak it's bum a few times a day and try the oil. I also saw some people saying that vasaline will help keep poo from sticking. But, yeah, the whole swollen vent is a bit strange. Poor chick just wants to sit and rest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by