HELP with 5 day old chick... vent inflammed and cant poop!

fernandez0067

Songster
11 Years
Dec 2, 2008
Schenectady
HI there.
I have 3 new chicks that I got from TSC

One of them has a really inflamed vent and poop stuck to it, when it poops the poor little thing strains so hard. I tried to get some of it off but its whole vent is huge and red.

The second chick isnt as bad but its definitley the same problem just not as bad

The third chick looks perfect.

What do I do??? HELP !

Take a warm wet cloth and gently hold the chick in one hand and hold it's bottom to the warm moist cloth and get any dry poop off by simply getting it moist and massaging gently. The you could see if there is something that is plugging it up.
Try that to start. If there are those more expert than I am, please feel free to tell me that this may not be the best way to start. I just remember when I was young and used to raise chicks I faintly recall doing that.

I tried to get as much as I could off but its huge and red and i feel like Im hurting the poor little thing. !! Is this normal in chicks??

yes, its normal to have happen. I had one that happened to and I soaked its little butt in warm water and then gentlely wipe off the poop.

It could be that there is some dried up inside like a plug. Just gently massage it with the warm slightly damp cloth every so often for awhile.

Turn the chick over and drop some drops of olive oil on the vent and let it sit for a second or two. It should cause the chick to "go". Also give it a couple of drops via beak. You may have to do this more than once but it should get unclogged.

I too have one chick with a swollen vent. But it is pooing. I will try to soak it's bum a few times a day and try the oil. I also saw some people saying that vasaline will help keep poo from sticking. But, yeah, the whole swollen vent is a bit strange. Poor chick just wants to sit and rest.

Back
Top Bottom