help with 6 day old chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by loco por pollos, Apr 24, 2009.

1. loco por pollos

loco por pollos New Egg

Apr 22, 2009
    Rainier,OR
    I read in one of my books that it was okay to give chicks grass clippings for some variety. However, after reading some of the other posts on here, I am scared I have hurt them because I have not given them any grit to go with it. What should I do?

2. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    They will need grit of some sort to process the grass. If they haven't eaten too much, you might be able to head off any problems by giving them some as soon as possible. If they were outside eating the grass, they may have picked up some small stones for grit at the same time. If they filled up on the clippings, without any grit, you may have some impacted crop issues to deal with. Hard to remedy in young chicks. You'll probably just have to wait it out and see if they get through it OK. Maybe someone else om here can offer a better suggestion. Good luck to you.

3. loco por pollos

loco por pollos New Egg

Apr 22, 2009
    Rainier,OR
    Thank you so much for your reply. I did find some sand to put in the brooder and stopped giving the grass. They seem to be just fine. I am sooo relieved. I think I will wait a while longer before adding anything to their diet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by