Help with a baby chick's bum

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by momma's chickens, Nov 5, 2008.

1. momma's chickens

momma's chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    I will read all the threads when I get back I can find with the search option, but until then I have a week old baby chicks with a bad bottom. The feathers and fuzz are completely off and I have seperated her from the others and the sad thing she really doesn't seem to care. It looks like her bottom is all poof out and when she goes to the bathroom it just hangs there until I clean it off. She does not seem weak and she is quite content, but this is an issue. I have put vaseline on the whole area and gently pushed in on the bottom but it doesn't change anything. She is all by herself in the new box and she is just hanging out, any suggestions. I have dealt with pasty butt before but this seem quite different. :|

Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
  2. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    Give her time and maybe one friend. Try electrolytes for one day in her water or sugar but just for one day. Not sure if she's too young, but maybe some good yogurt with some food as a treat, just a little.

3. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Maybe try clipping the fluff around her butt so the poop doesnt build up, also put some neosporin or the other stuff on her butt to help it heal !!

4. momma's chickens

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    Thank you for your responses. My main concern is that her little bottom itself looks like it is coming out, I mean not to be gross, but it looks like I imagine hemmoroids would look like.

5. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    ohhhhh........ hmmmm, interesting !! Not to be gross either but can you get a pic of it ?? I have no idea what to tell you without seeing it. I'm sure it would be helpful to others also !!

6. momma's chickens

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    Yes, I was thinking that I need a pic, my camera batteries are charging, will post one as soon as possible.

7. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    How are things today with the butt ?? Did you ever get a pic ??

8. Bandana

Bandana Chillin' With My Peeps

Try some Prep-H, maybe? Poor little thing.

9. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:Make sure you do a search on prep-h before using it (if your thinking about it)

There was a post on here a while back that had info on some kinds that were not good to use !! It could of even been that it wasnt good to use at all. I cant remember what the post said errrr.

Ohhhhhh, something about the Lidocain (sp?) in it. NOT GOOD for chickens !!

10. Bandana

Bandana Chillin' With My Peeps

This is what Wikipedia says Prep-H has in it:
    Preparation H products come in a variety of formulations. Some are water based gel; some are petroleum jelly based. They range from simple moisturizers with witch-hazel astringent to preparations containing pharmacological ingredients such as phenylephrine, pramoxine and hydrocortisone. Some also contain ingredients of uncertain properties such as aloe vera, shark liver oil and yeast extract.[2] Formulations available also vary with country.

An active ingredient in some Preparation H products is phenylephrine in a 0.25% concentration, a drug which constricts blood vessels. This drug is more commonly used as a decongestant in cold medications since restricting blood flow in the sinuses will reduce the amount of mucus they create. Since hemorrhoids are caused by inflamed blood vessels, this can reduce their size. Preparation H with hydrocortisone has only hydrocortisone as its active ingredient, in a 1% concentration. A witch hazel medicated wipe is also available under the Preparation H brand.

The Canadian formulation of Preparation H includes a yeast extract called BioDyne which has been removed from the formulation sold in the United States. This yeast extract is believed by many to remove wrinkles from skin and heal dry, cracked, and irritated skin. Thus the Canadian formulation has acquired a market in the United States as a skin cream.

In the 1960s Preparation H used the slogan "Effective even in cases of long standing". The current tagline, used by people thinking of what they should have used, is "I Shoulda Used Preparation H", now a registered trademark.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by