Help with a Chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Gonzalez9379, May 20, 2011.

1. Gonzalez9379

Gonzalez9379 New Egg

May 20, 2011
    I need some help finding out what is wrong with one of our hens. About a few months back I found a snake in the pen, and tried to kill it but to no avail. I didn't see it for a while, and then one day I saw it again. Yet again, I couldn't kill it. The next day, I went outside to feed and check for eggs when I noticed a hen who was lethargic. It was sitting in front of the door and didn't want to move. Eventually it moved slowly, and hobbled off, and kinda leaned on its wing. I told my Dad and he said that it had been like this for a week (how he would know is beyond me, he rarely ever checks on them, he leaves it to me) and that it was our rooster that did it. I checked it for marks and wounds but found nothing. We separated her, and it's been at least a month since then and she's made little to no progress. She sits in the exact same spot all day and night, near food and water. She seems in pain, and I hate to see her suffering. I think it's about time to put her out of her misery, but I don't want to. Is there anything I can do? Is any more information on the chicken needed?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Does she feel thin, like she is losing weight, have a sharp feeling breastbone? How old is she? Have you ever wormed them? Have you checked for lice/mites? Is she laying?

3. Gonzalez9379

Gonzalez9379 New Egg

May 20, 2011
    Quote:Well, she eats, but she's losing weight. I don't know about the breastbone, I'll check. We've had her for about a year, since she was a chick. We've looked for lice and mitesr,, but found nothing on her. As for worms, no, we've never taken the chicken to the vet.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Then my first guess is worms. Many on here do not take chickens to vets for worming -- and many vets won't treat chickens at all. There are several choices. For her I would get some Valbazen. You can get wormers at a feed store -- they are sold for worming cattle, sheep, etc. and their use is off label for chickens (except piperazine, which only gets one type of worm) so you wind up buying a lot more than you need. Let me give you a couple of links so you can decide for yourself; there are a lot of threads on here about worming.

http://healthybirds.umd.edu/Disease/Deworming Birds.pdf

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=5770173#p5770173

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by