Help with a hen with a possible broken leg!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LilyLovesBugs, Jan 4, 2013.

1. LilyLovesBugs

LilyLovesBugs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    I am taking care of my friend's BR that had a dog bite her hip. On her hip are two small puncture marks that look great, not bad at all. It was also really bruised though. I found her in my friend's coop laying down, and after watching her stand up noticed she wouldn't use one of her legs. She has been keeping this leg against her with her toes curled up. She will stand and hop around on her other leg, but she will not put weight on this leg. I have had her for a few days now and the bruising has gone down a fair bit. Around her leg where the scales meet the feathers it is red. She is eating and drinking, but her poop is looking fairly watery, like she isn't eating enough and the rest is almost egg whitish.

Is her leg broken? If so how do I splint it without vetwrap?

Thank you!

2. LilyLovesBugs

Aug 1, 2011
    I think I have figured out the problem. By her hip was a patch of dead skin and dried pus hiding well under her feathers, after gently peeling this off I discovered fresh infected wounds underneath, which I immeditely cleaned with Iodine, then rubbed triple antibiotic into it. I think the little wounds were from the dog pulling her feathers out,

3. LilyLovesBugs

Aug 1, 2011
    Compared to her other leg that feels heavy and normal, this leg feels super light and moves around in different abnormal directions. She holds it against her side. Please help, I don't know what the matter is!

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I guess I would make her some sort of sling , or maybe take her to the vet?
    For one in the past I had vetwrap and went all away around the thigh, over the back of the chicken, under the chicken and back around the thigh-until they can't move the leg. Other than that, I don't know.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by