Help with a hen!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by <3ChickenForever, Aug 15, 2011.

1. <3ChickenForever

<3ChickenForever Fire Is Catching

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    She is a red sex-link and she has been hiding up in this hut and the sun doesn't ever hit her. She only gets down from it once every week, sometimes less. She is pale and skinny. I put her in the coop and locked her up in it so she can eat and drink. She has been up in that hut since June. (But like I said she does come down sometimes.) Any advice what I should do? Here are pictures of her, hopefully they help. Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    is she hiding in a nesting box? if so she is probably broody(trying to hatch eggs) how old is she, could she be molting. the heat can cause them to look pale, try to keep them cool during the day . I would give her some electrolyte solution in her water for added strenght. just make sure she is eating and drinking

3. <3ChickenForever

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    Quote:No she is in a high hut which is far from the hen house. The hut is by our shed. Yes I know she's broody, I think she just needs some viatam D.

Any other advice?

4. stubbornhill

stubbornhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    I would take her out of the hut and put her somewhere that she can't get back to the hut. Maybe a dog carrier? Do a search on here for things to break broodiness. There are many, many links. It would appear that she wants to hatch eggs. If she is allowed to get back to the hut, she will.

5. <3ChickenForever

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    Quote:She is locked up in a coop now. What else should I do? How long should I keep her locked up?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by