help with a hova-bator 1602N

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by waw, Dec 1, 2011.

1. waw

waw Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2011
    Mississippi
    is the hova bator a good bator?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have a 1602n incubator. It was a still Air but I did put a fan in it. I have a cabinet incubator I incubate in but I still use it as a hatcher. I am happy with mine.

3. waw

Nov 12, 2011
    Mississippi
    do i have to have a fan in it or can i use it with out a fan:)

4. waw

Nov 12, 2011
    Mississippi
    i know yall are reading it so please reply
    [​IMG]

5. Faerytalefarm

Faerytalefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Quote:you can use it without a fan but when I used the still air I was advised to move the eggs around the Bator or rotate them in turner. This was done to avoid some eggs from sitting in hot spots the entire time.

6. rudy_rooster

rudy_rooster Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2011
    Connecticut
    Quote:I'm glad you posted this. I was wondering the same thing. I'd like to start incubating some eggs either next year or in 2013. I see a Hova-Bator with an egg turner on Ebay and the price seems good. Wasn't sure if the price seemed good because people don't get good results?

7. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I LOVE my still air hovabator with egg turner. I had an excellent hatch with it's first use. I hatched 60 of 75 button quail eggs using the dry incubation method. I measured temperature at mid-egg level and kept it @ 100 degrees from day 1 thru hatch. I also have another one from 1984 with a fan in it which I love equally well.

8. rudy_rooster

rudy_rooster Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2011
    Connecticut
    Quote:That's great to hear!

9. waw

Nov 12, 2011
    Mississippi
    would the fan increase my odds of hatch
    or does it stay pretty accurate or consistent
    i heard that there are hot spot do i need to switch my eggs around or will they come out at around the same time
    i saw that one on ebay too i am so gonna get it but the turner only holds 47 of the fifty that it holds
    should i try again with my mini chick bator too last time i had two eggs in one died in the first few days and the other drowned after it piped i am getting another hydromometer for it
    is there a minimium number of eggs you would recommend hatching at a time:)
    thanks for the advice in advance

10. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    I have a used 1602n I bought from a buddy of mine & it was still air so I put a PC fan in it & it works great, holds temp. very good & humidity to, in my openion the 1602 is well worth the price you pay for them, be sure you get the liner for the bottom.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by