1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help with a QT Roo please.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Xovan, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Xovan

Xovan Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2013
    Oneida County , NY
    We got a Roo last week and have kept him in a giant dog crate. All seemed well until today. Though my little one said different. Yesterday we let him out in the run with the others for like 5 minutes and we found out he could FLY WELL!!. After we got him back we put him back in the crate for the rest of the day. I did my homework on clipping wings and this morning first thing we did the deed. again all seemed well. then I noticed he did not have as much fight in him as he did yesterday. so I put him back in the crate. That is when I noticed he looked listless and tired. He kept standing on the roost and closing his eyes. I also noticed a Yellow poo in the crate. .we moved him away from all the others and now he just stands there and does nothing unless you go after him. Here are a few pics of the lase two poos he had a few minutes apart. I Hope someone can help with this. SOON.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Whenever you change a chicken's location from one place to another, they can be exposed to a new strain of coccidia oocysts that they are not immune to. I would go get some Corid liquid 2 tsp. per gallon of water, and treat him for coccidiosis for 5 days (no ACV or vitamins for this 5 days.) Give him some plain yogurt or probiotics. It won't hurt him if he doesn't have it, but it might nip it in the bud. Also examine his crop 1st thing in the morning--if it is not flat, you might suspect sour or impacted crop. Check him for lice and mites all over especially at the base of feathers. Worming him after the Corid would be good.

1 person likes this.
  3. Xovan

Feb 9, 2013
    Oneida County , NY
    OK so I puled the ACV. and off to the store for the other stuff. Thank you for responding so quick. If he does not drink should I give it to him with a dropper?

4. Xovan

Feb 9, 2013
    Oneida County , NY
    Please help my new pitiful dude
    . [​IMG]

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    The yellow/green poop suggests possibly an ecoli bacterial infection. All chickens have ecoli bacteria. It's when it gets out of control is when there's a problem (stress is a factor.) If it's caught early, ongoing treatment with baytril in combination with probios and poultry nutri drench might help. It would be best to have a fecal sample sent off for analysis. You can contact your local extension office or state agriculture department and find out how to go about it. I've dealt with confirmed ecoli in a roo. He was treated for almost 2 months but eventually had to be put down. Ecoli bacteria can be spread to other birds via feces, keep him seperated.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  6. Xovan

Feb 9, 2013
    Oneida County , NY
    Thank you he is away from the others!

7. Xovan

Feb 9, 2013
    Oneida County , NY
    Why is there no help Here or on the entire internet for this?!!!!

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Read post #5.

9. Xovan

Feb 9, 2013
    Oneida County , NY
    Sorry, I was just in panic mode. I did read your post. I just wanted to get all the options I could and then make a decision. Please do not take my neurotic concern for an insult. I am grateful you responded!! I just started to panic. Again I am sorry if I came across offensive, and thank you.

10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I understand. It IS stressful. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by