Help with a sick duck

Maryjeanash

Chirping
May 17, 2022
We have got a duck and like the first couple weeks she hurt her leg and she has had a limp ever since. but she could walk, she had a had a limp but she could walk.. she got sick about 3 days ago and she can't walk.. she can kind of walk but she seems like she's off balance .she'll take a couple steps and then fall forward.. the first night I noticed her sick was she had white diarrhea and then the second night I went down there to check on her she had dark green.. she still eats and drinks normal and she still loves to get in that pool splash water up around her and now she sometimes can get out but she lands hard when she does so I try to get her out when she's done because it's hard for her....we have a male duck too he's fine.. but he does not like us to mess with her at all.. so we got to watch everything we're doing and he tries to bite us..hes very protective of her,... We just lost two turkeys last week.. one died and then the other died a couple days later they both had white two diarrhea but once they got down they they was done.. that same night.. we have chickens in there too and they're not sick.. if anybody has any suggestions on what to do then I would greatly appreciate it.
I would love to get her back up and walking again with her male friend

How old is your duck ? I would separate her in a smaller area so she is using the foot less and not trying to keep up to her partner
What kind of feed do you use ?
Does she get treats ? Do you give grit to help digest other feeds
Are you using any vitamins ?
Have you checked her foot to look for cuts or injuries ?
Sorry for all the questions
I promise I’m not grilling you this will help others to know what’s going on to help you

Welcome to BYC
Can you explain how she hurt her leg? did she hurt her leg from landing hard getting out of the pool? can you make a ramp or use stepping stones so they have an easier time getting in and out?
How old?
what breed?
What are you feeding and do you use any type of niacin ?

Back
Top Bottom