Help with a sick hen, looking for advise, please!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by judyki2004, Jul 24, 2013.

1. judyki2004

judyki2004 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2012
    Puerto Rico
    My Coop
    My friends hen a "kikiriki" (its a tiny chicken breed) is sick, her comb was red and it turns black, is not eating & is walking like a penguin, her poop is yellow . My friend is syringe feeding her olive oil & "baby -bird-food" , and gave her a warm bath with epsom salt... Can anyone help in the diagnosis & treatment please!

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Yes she sounds like she is egg bound. walking like a penguin is a tell tale sign of egg binding! It can kill them. She needs to put some gloves on and lube her vent and see if she can feel the egg. She can give her a warm relaxing bath if the bird can tolerate it.put ky jelly in and around the vent to help her expel the
    egg and give her a human calcium pill. the calcium should help the hen lay. something in the calcium helps with the muscles and contractions and helps them lay. If that does not work take her to vet where they can carefully break the egg and remove the pieces. The pieces can cut her so its best a vet does this because they have a better ability to remove all the pieces. I wish her the best and please keep us updated. she should start treatment right away.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  3. judyki2004

Jan 6, 2012
    Puerto Rico
    My Coop
    thanks so much this advise will be of great help!

4. realsis

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    1 person likes this.
  5. realsis

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Show your friend the link I sent in above post it explains things very well and might help! Please keep us updated on her! Time is of essence so start her treatment soon.I wish you the best!

1 person likes this.
  6. judyki2004

Jan 6, 2012
    Puerto Rico
    My Coop
    My friends hen is doing great! It turn out to be coccidia (or something like that) ! Thank you all for your advices! Blessings [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by