Help with a silkie mix

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Mandalina, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    Morning Peeps!

I just hatched out a few eggs a couple of days ago and got a surprise when my long awaited silkie egg hatched.The chick looks like a chipmunk which is adorable, but it's legs are pinky white and it has normal chicken toes, not silkie feet.
    The face/eyes look exactly like it's mama who is a white silkie, it even has her little blue beak.It's feathers are puffier than the other reg chickens I hatched and it does have the hairy legs.
    But is it normal for a silkie mix to be born without the extra toes and dark skin genes??? i was really expecting it to look more silkie with maybe some funky colors LOL.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know for a fact it is my silkie's chick since she is my only white egg layer, but is it possible she isnt full silkie even though she looks like it??

2. barred-rocks-rock

barred-rocks-rock Can't stick with a Title

Jul 5, 2009
    What roosters do you have?

3. Mandalina

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    and just for reference this is it's mama Snowball

[​IMG]

and the dad is my RIR roo
    [​IMG]

4. Mandalina

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    They may look like an odd couple but my roo is head over heals for the silkie.He keeps singing to her bc she is broody and refuses to leave the boxes, so he gives her entertainment.

5. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Its normal for a silkie cross to not have some or even alot of the physical characteristics that make the silkie breed...

No tuft/crest
    no black skin (or may have mottled black skin)
    4 toes instead of 5
    or 4 toes on one foot 5 on the other
    Most original mixes of silkies do not have silkie feathering - i think the silkie feather texture is recessive and needs 2 genes? I'm not sure...

so you could get any combination of characteristics or lack there of. [​IMG]

6. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Yikes!

A RIR roo with a Silkie hen? No wonder she's hiding in the nest box!

[​IMG]

7. Suburban Sprouts

Suburban Sprouts Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Quote:[​IMG]

Agreed! What a funny mix! Good luck with your cutie! I'll be very interested to see how he/she turns out!

8. Mandalina

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    Quote:[​IMG]

Agreed! What a funny mix! Good luck with your cutie! I'll be very interested to see how he/she turns out!

[​IMG] I know! I meant to seperate out my littles from my bigs but Red has a seriously love for the banty's and silkies.He barely acknowledges my big hens most days.He is all about the short ladies with the hairy legs [​IMG]

Snowball is actually in the box due to her broody issues.She goes broody for 3 weeks, unbroody for 2, then back to broody for 3 weeks, and so on.It is a very annoying cycle bc I dont get many eggs from her which is why I was a total spaz and seperated her to get the 3 eggs I attempted hatching.This chick was the only egg to make it.And of course every time I set egg under her broody butt she refuses to keep them.

I am sooo excited to see it grow up, it is extremely fiesty despite it's small stature LOL.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by