Help with a smooshed, but alive egg?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Etam, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Etam

Etam New Egg

Aug 14, 2011
    Okay, so I had three eggs that were due to hatch today. As a matter of fact, when I went to check on the hen and chicks this morning, the eggs all had signs of a chick trying to crack the egg/already had a small hole.
    And, due to complications, we were unable to move the hen into a separate place to raise her young. So, she was in our coop and a bossy brown hen chased her off this morning. She killed and ate one of the unhatched chicks and smooshed another.
    Right now, Number 1 and Number 3 are alive and in my care. Number 4 was eaten and Number 2 was also killed, but that happened last week. Number 1 is bloody (all the blood I can see is dried) and her (I'm assuming the chick is a she) shell is broken into many pieces. There's a big piece of shell on the bottom.
    The breaking happened about seven hours ago. Number 1 is still breathing and clacking her beak. Number 3 is working on her shell, although she only has a small hole.
    My question is, what do I do with Number 1? I've cleared a bit of the shell away from her face with tweezers about two hours ago. Just to see if it would help her. Do I wait to see if she can break free on her own?

These pictures were taken a while after I took off some of the pieces of her shell.
    [​IMG]
    Number 1 and Number 3, side by side.

[​IMG]
    A close-up of Number 1. The bits of shell on the ground were loose bits that I just nudged off or broke off. The blood was there before I took off the piece of the shell and the blood on that was dry.

Thank you! ^^

2. MuckyPuppy

MuckyPuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    UK
    I have never had a smooshed egg and what you ultimately decide to do depends on what you are comfortable with.

This is a hard one. I personally always help if there is a problem that I caused or was caused by external forces and I feel the chick would have otherwise hatched. The problem for me would be that I wouldn't know how badly the chick was injured. I also wouldn't know how far along the hatching process it was before the injury was caused. To me looking at a screen the membrane looks to be pretty empty of any blood and if that was the case and I wouldn't cause harm to the other hatching egg, I would personally help. If you do decide to help be very careful and go slowly just in case the chick isn't ready to hatch or it is injured. I would also have a plan in place to deal with a very hurt chick just in case.

Your the one that is going to have to make the executive decision.

I hope everything goes well for you and your chicks.

3. Nikkumz

Nikkumz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Spanaway,WA
    ID say she looks pretty good for being smooshed, theres isnt much blood so she was ready to hatch, id snip just a TINY TINY bit of the membrane away, if it starts bleeding stop and wet it a tiny bit with warm water and wait a few hours then do a little more. She looks ready to hatch though, she may be shock from being kicked around stepped on.

4. Nikkumz

Nikkumz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Spanaway,WA
    AND id get rid of the hen that did this, cuz shes only gonna do it again im sure [​IMG]

5. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    I'd open the egg asap before it shrink wraps. Make sure you remove both membranes completely. If the shell is stuck to the butt...Leave that piece there!! Place the baby under the hen.

6. LisaAnnW

LisaAnnW Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2011
    The other ideas sound wise, I'd just like to add: keep the eggs warm, but don't dry out the membrane. We've used a damp washcloth for this with damaged duck eggs. I would resist any urge to pull much membrane or shell off for them, because it seems like chicks need to build up their strength by pipping and struggling...any we've helped haven't lived. I hope yours pull through.

7. LisaAnnW

LisaAnnW Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2011
    Just looked at the photos and text again: I don't think the smooshed egg will shrink wrap if the membrane is kept moist. Since you cleared a passage for the beak, I'd wait before doing anything drastic, such as peeling the remainder away.

Quote:

8. zookeeper15133

zookeeper15133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    SW PA
    I had a similar thing happen last week. My egg wasn't quite as bad as yours. I left it under the hen and it hatched and was fine. It was the last of 11 to hatch. It's name is Lucky.
    I put the offending hen (This is the second time she has done this. The first was to her own eggs. About day 17 or 18 she does it.) in jail until I built a small broody box It's only about 2'x2' square and attached to a wire dog kennel 27"x 43" covered with plastic mesh to keep the chicks in.
    It is a silkie hen and only for a couple weeks, til the larger grow out pen is empty. I made it that size because I went and looked to see what wood I had laying around and that was what I came up with.

9. Etam

Etam New Egg

Aug 14, 2011
    EDIT: BOTH ARE FULLY HATCHED AND ARE DRYING OFF. THANK Y'ALL SO MUCH! [​IMG]

Thank y'all for the advice!

I did decide to go ahead and remove most of what I could on Number 1. I removed most of the shell, leaving the bits that refused to come off. I stopped when I saw little bloodlines in the most bottom layer of membrane. Right now, she's curled in a very damp washcloth. I'll check on her again in a couple minutes and I plan on seeing if the bloodlines are gone before I go to bed. I'm assuming that the bloodlines disappear when the chick is ready to hatch?
    (Also, sorry to y'all who said not to remove the shell. I had already gone to do so before I saw y'all post)

Number 3, however, seems to be an issue now. She's hardly moving/cheeping and the membrane that shows is awfully white, compared to Number 1. If she's not out by the time I get back from school tomorrow, should I try to remove some of her shell? Sorry if I seem to be anxious and jumping the gun, this is our second time hatching eggs and the first time went perfectly well.

Both babies, if they are well when completely out of their shells, will be placed back under their momma [​IMG] Poor thing's been trying to get us to let her raise eggs for a while now.

Quote:Actually, we've had eggs broken (these eggs didn't belong to any broody hen) before, we just didn't know who it was. We have about 20 other hens, so it's not easy to find who does it, especially when it happens while I'm not home. No other hens show violent behavior towards eggs so I'm not quite sure what to do with her [​IMG] I can't get rid of her either, since my family still want to keep her.

Quote:See, I was scared that if I put her back she'd be hurt on accident, either by her sibling or her mother. I think I'll have to do the "jail" idea whenever another hen tries to go broody, if we don't get a broody box built. We only let our hens go broody if it becomes too much trouble to convince them not to and this is the second time.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  10. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Quote:Well, most people separate their broody hens to make sure it won't happen. If you have another broody hen, you'll know now that it's best to keep them separate. But unless this hen shows signs of trying to be persistently aggressive to the chicks or to other birds, or constant egg eating, I'd keep her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by