help with adding chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Izzymoon, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Izzymoon

Izzymoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    My Coop
    I have 5 yr olds and I bought 3 chicks in the spring to give me a nice variety of egg colors and now they are about to lay themselves and I added them into the big coop and the 5 are having none of it. When in the run they beat them up so bad they bleed and when up in the coop they stuff the 3 of them into one nesting box and keep watch so they can't eat or drink :(

I really can't keep them in the small coop over winter, and I have no choices but to try and keep the big girls out so the little ones can eat and drink. It is tough because the big one need to lay too.

Will they work this out? I understand the pecking order thing, but they are being really brutal on these 3 chicks. Any advice?

thanks in advance

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Partition part on the coop off for the pullets. Give them a week or so off being next to the older hens with the wire separating them, then try to mix them again. If you can give them more space during the introduction as well as obstacles and things to break the lines of sight it should go better.

3. Izzymoon

Apr 19, 2012
    My Coop
    we're having a wonderful warm fall so I let the 3 chicks out to stretch their wings and get some sun (they've been trapped in the coop for days) and I let them go far away from their old coop, and yet there they were out by the old coop. I give up for now, I will maybe just move the old coop up with the big coop and call it a day. The big hens aren't laying with them in the coop, and fighting and blood has been spilled a lot. None of the big hens seem to want to surrender and let them just become part of the flock. I really want to keep them too....ahhh what a hassle :(

4. heidisue

heidisue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Marana, Arizona
    Do what the previous poster said :) put them where they can see each other but not have physical contact. After a week or so introduce them to the new flock one at a time, lowest ranking first.

It makes sense that they go back to the old coop - it will be a long time before that isn't home to them.

5. Izzymoon

Apr 19, 2012
    My Coop
    I have put them next to each other and things have quieted down since then, the first few days the old girls squawked alot but then they accepted them. I haven't put them together again since though I may have to before the snow flys because I only have the one waterer heated...the battle continues thanks for all the advice

6. Izzymoon

Apr 19, 2012
    My Coop
    After over a month of trying, things are finally looking up. With the onset of cold weather I put them together again after putting the 2 coops side by side for a couple weeks. A week of them hiding out in the coop, and this morning I noticed one of the hens who had been very mean run up and scoot them outside when I fed them, so I think this is a good sign, and they pretty much left them alone once out in the run. I was really surprised how mean they got stomping on them and trying to peck their eyes out...scary!!

thanks for all the advice

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  7. heidisue

heidisue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    Marana, Arizona
    That's awesome, good job :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by