Help with adopted hens.. bullying.

Sonshineacres02

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2021
Here is the back story.
we are new to chickens. Our neighbor moved and can’t keep her chickens. We adopted 3 Wyandotte’s and 3 Turkens (naked neck) hens. They are just shy of one year old.
the neighbor had them free range 24 hrs a day with access to the coop and they would roost high up in some rafters of a large roof overhang.
We won’t let them be out at night. Our new coop is a lot smaller than they are used to but not tiny.
we were advised to keep them in for several days so they would learn their new home. Otherwise they will hop the fence and go back to the neighbors.
The problem is, two of the Wyandotte hens are being total jerks to one of the Turken hens. Her neck was beat up pretty good today (so far just surface and where her beak meets her comb. We borrowed a small coop just big enough for hen jail and the naught hens are in there tonight.
I’m just not sure how to procede.
I think once the girls can be out during the day, they will be much happier.
Im trying not to get discouraged before we barely get started. Thanks in advance!
21EC5C13-B8A6-4CCB-9664-5E0DAD7ADB1E.jpeg
5647B050-B38F-48CA-9777-15A4D266BE33.jpeg

Some questions.
How many total number of chickens are you keeping now. Adoptees + your chickens.?
Is the violence occurring inside coop or inside run?

If the chickens are used to living next door, they will try to return there, since it is their home visible to them. It may take some time to get used to your yard/run/coop, as their home. I see a fence there. Are they capable of easily flying over it. Most chickens can fly, but not all choose to. You may have to clip their wings to prevent them from flying over.
In time, chickens will get used to new home, The food source is a big factor in where they want to stay.

The pecking may be result of overcrowding in smaller facility. They were not used to such when free-ranging their entire previous life. As long as there is not severe wound, and bleeding, then maybe things will mellow out.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

Some questions.
How many total number of chickens are you keeping now. Adoptees + your chickens.?
Is the violence occurring inside coop or inside run?

If the chickens are used to living next door, they will try to return there, since it is their home visible to them. It may take some time to get used to your yard/run/coop, as their home. I see a fence there. Are they capable of easily flying over it. Most chickens can fly, but not all choose to. You may have to clip their wings to prevent them from flying over.
In time, chickens will get used to new home, The food source is a big factor in where they want to stay.

The pecking may be result of overcrowding in smaller facility. They were not used to such when free-ranging their entire previous life. As long as there is not severe wound, and bleeding, then maybe things will mellow out.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome
Thank you. These are the only chickens we have.. so 6 total. The problem seems worse outside in the run but does happen some inside. Some of the fence is too tall to fly over but some is shorter and I think they can get over.
im actually going to contact the coop manufacturer and see if they will sell us two more wire panels and the roof pieces so we can make the run a little bigger.

I don't have all the answers, and don't claim to. But I do like to offer some suggestions that may help, or work.
Boredom is a factor that chickens may encounter also. That may result in bullying as well. Try this and it is a very cheap option.
Get a head of cabbage, and hang it on a rope. Have it just right height for chickens to peck at, but still swinging. For some reason, a rolling head of cabbage seems less attractive. Chickens luv munching on cabbage, and the swinging action provides both entertainment and exercise.

Thank you! I will try that. I don’t think these hens are used to eating fresh veggies, hopefully they will learn. I have tried several “treats” and they don’t seem to care.

Back
Top Bottom