Silkie Coop in Tennessee

Gammas Bearded Babies

Crossing the Road
May 24, 2021
Middle Tennessee
I have all silkies in middle TENNESSEE...my run has tarps over it and pre-fab coop is shutting down for new coop!
I decided to go with LP Smartside sheathing for walls (go big or go home...n so over redoing everything since getting these babies...and hubby finally agrees!)
I won't be replacing tarps over the run til next year...we dont get a lot of snow here. My biggest issue is with the rain coming in the sides...and I've noticed past few weeks with weather changing the wind blows considerably inside the run.
I am doing an extension off the run at the back instead of inside the run because it is easier to do the roof on coop outside of the run area with weird roof line.
My question for those of you in milder climates like TENNESSEE...and based on how SILKIES are (dry feet and wind issues) would you leave off the entire front of the coop so it is open to the run or would you enclose it and do large door that can be shut to protect them from winds and cold but open in hot humid summers?
IMG_20210805_133929_299.jpg

Here is pic of existing run with tarps...the new coop will be on FAR RIGHT of run and an additional tarp placed on currently uncovered portion of run..
Everything is and will be wrapped in hardware cloth so protection isn't a problem either way.
IMG_20210805_133929_554.jpg

Last edited:
Why is there grass on the ground? is that a big tractor? Yes, i have tin down low one one side of my covered run to stop wind drive rain from blowing through. roof over hangs as well. I cover the North side completely in winter. happy warm dry birds

Why is there grass on the ground? is that a big tractor? Yes, i have tin down low one one side of my covered run to stop wind drive rain from blowing through. roof over hangs as well. I cover the North side completely in winter. happy warm dry birds
Yes they are finishing off the grass. This is also a pic of the first few days after setting up this structure as the run...which actually was in July. Now there is mostly pine shavings, dried leaves and very little grass on far end that is uncovered.
That is the old pre-fab coop.

Updated pics once rain stops.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom