1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help with ameraucanas please???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SunnyDawn, Oct 14, 2009.

1. SunnyDawn

SunnyDawn Sun Lovin' Lizard

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    I wanted to order 25 ameraucana chicks from Chick Hatchery for this spring. They don't sex their chicks first and I wanted pullets only, but I can't find anyone else that sells purebred, standard, ameraucanas. I don't want EEs this time, I'm looking for the pure blue eggs and this guy knows his ameraucanas!
    Anyone ordered from this hatchery before? They offer several varieties of standard and bantam ameraucanas.
    Any recommendations for what variety I should try from the standards they offer? I'm not showing them so I'm not so concerned about looks but I do care about egg size and quantity (I know Ameraucanas are not known for the biggest/most eggs but I mean relative to other ameraucanas...).
    They offer: Wheaten, Silver, Lavender, Buff and Black in large fowl. The Wheaten and Silver can be mixed (minimum order is 10, ea. order must total at least 25) but the other varieties have a 25 chick minimum (and I really only wanted 5 so I will only order the 25).
    Can anyone advise me please??? [​IMG]

2. SunnyDawn

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Also, if anyone wants to split an order... We live in north-west Nevada area but travel to Bay area and Fort Bragg often.

3. thereseiam

thereseiam Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Durant, Iowa
    I'm thinking of ordering some Ameraucanas from Nature's Hatchery right now as well--and they do sell sexed chicks. They are in IL, and with you in NV I'm not sure if the shipping would work for you or not, but I thought I'd mention it.

Therese

4. SunnyDawn

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Quote:I'll check them out thanks Therese!

5. noitulover

noitulover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Central Virginia
    i would try going to the ameraucana breeder's club and finding someone on there that you like, and buy from them. if you want pure ameraucanas, i would go with a breeder. not a hatchery.

http://www.ameraucana.org/

6. SunnyDawn

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Oops, just checked on Nature's Hatchery, they don't sell pure bred Ameruacanas just Easter Eggers. Many hatcheries call their EEs ameraucanas or araucanas but they are not, they are mixed breeds. Still great birds, but not what I'm looking for right now. Thanks though!

7. SunnyDawn

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Quote:Thanks, I'll do that.

8. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    Quote:MPC is really good about that, they sell them as EEs, and tell people that some other hatcheries may mislabel their EEs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by