Help with ammonia smell

Kchicken1988

In the Brooder
Sep 15, 2019
This is my first winter with chickens. They have a coop, and out door run

We live In Oregon where it rains. A lot !
This last fall I noticed the coop was smelling what I think is Ammonia. It smells like straight cat pee.
I took out all the shavings and replaced with new.
I have been flipping it around every week or so.
Tonight when I went to Flip it I noticed the smell is back. It’s so foul and makes your nostrils burn.
When I flipped open the nest boxes I noticed two were pretty moist from the rain. It’s the side that gets hit the worse.
I need to fix that. But would that small amount effect the whole over all house. what am I doing wrong and how can I fix this.

Wet bedding = stinky bedding. You have any photos of your set up, especially the nest box area that you say is getting wet from rain? Do you know if it's leaking or how is the water getting in?
I think it’s getting in because you lift open the nest boxes and there’s a tiny crack in between. I think it’s only because the rain blows in just right.

I also believe I have good ventilation. I have two little windows that stay open on top of the house and it gets good air flow

You'll need to be more specific. "Two little windows" = how much sq ft? Are those windows the only ventilation? What is the sq footage of coop? How many chickens?

With some set ups you may need to do frequent clean outs to stay on top of the amount of ammonia and poop build up, with others you can go quite long. I do twice a year bedding cleanouts with daily spot cleaning under the roost.

Back
Top Bottom