Help with amputation!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by [email protected]@2four, Jun 20, 2010.

1. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    Hey all!!! I have a started silkie chick(given to me by a friend) who was born with a bad leg(to the side) and is now turning almost backwards. It wasn't spraddle leg, since I have lots of experience in fixing that, but more of just a deformity. He/she is such a fighter and still very hearty, so I wanted to give it a shot before culling it. Any help, advice, "how to" would be greatly appreciated!!! I did a search on here and saw Ruth had something very similar, but I tried PMing her, but her inbox is full and e-mail is private! So, ANYONE with ANY experience, HELP!!! Thanks SO much!!!

2. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Wow I don't have a clue.I have had bird's with curled feet in older age but nothing like what you are talking about.I Have have 2 duck's with broken leg's and one lost a foot to turtle once and they all did fine.The lost duck foot we had taped and kept her down a few week but the damage was so bad it just fell off.We had gave her penicillin and kept the foot and leg clean and after a month or so she blew the whole tape off her nubb and she could run faster than the other ducks.I hope someone here can help with your silkie I have never had a major leg problem like that with a chicken Yet. Good Luck.

3. M@M@2four

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    Thanks! I'm really hoping to get some more info! I have no problem with culling, but this little guy is really doing well otherwise--it's almost like his gimpy leg is just in the way! [​IMG]

4. M@M@2four

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    Please, can anyone offer how to do this? I'm just not sure where to make the cut and exactly what to do!!! Please, anyone???? [​IMG]

5. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

I wish I could convince you to abandon this idea. I suspect a lot of other folks feel the same or someone would have stepped forward to offer help and advice by now.

Please don't do this. Please do consider the issue of "quality of life" over the idea of "life at any cost."

6. M@M@2four

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    Quote:Too late...and I'm happy to report he/she is doing just fine! It was done and over within a minute--Please let me back up here by saying I'm not a newbie to chickens--I have owned and raised chickens for several years. And I have NO problems with putting a chicken down. I raise birds for eggs, show, and meat. I saw this started chick who was truly fighting and completely healthy otherwise--just the gimpy leg was in the way. So, I amputated and it is happily clucking right now in it's brooder eating and drinking and hopping around. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. Brody's Broodello

Brody's Broodello Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2009
    Maryland
    [email protected]@2four :

Quote:Too late...and I'm happy to report he/she is doing just fine! It was done and over within a minute--Please let me back up here by saying I'm not a newbie to chickens--I have owned and raised chickens for several years. And I have NO problems with putting a chicken down. I raise birds for eggs, show, and meat. I saw this started chick who was truly fighting and completely healthy otherwise--just the gimpy leg was in the way. So, I amputated and it is happily clucking right now in it's brooder eating and drinking and hopping around. [​IMG]

When it grows up you can get it a job as a pirate named Pegleg![​IMG]

8. manderzpants

manderzpants Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2010
    plymouth
    maybe you could make it a lil' pegleg? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by