Help with an idea...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by LavanderSplash, Jan 8, 2013.

1. LavanderSplash

LavanderSplash Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    ok, since I have two silkies and would love for them to be outside in the beautuiul weather when winter is over, I may need a coop right? Well I looked over the yard and noticed we have one of those small toddler wooden doll houses kids play in an no kids.... hmmm.. so I am wondering if anybody has any creative ideas on how to turn that into a two chicken chicken coop. I can get pictures of it later when the weather and camera agree on each other. Just idea to throw out.

2. HouseCat

HouseCat Chillin' With My Peeps

How many square feet is it?

3. LavanderSplash

Jan 7, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    The kids play doll house is an A frame. 4x9' by 3x4' by 3x9'
    dirt floor but I have spare tiles to put in if need be.
    There a door and three windows.
    Ground level

4. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    It sounds pretty good, but I can't really get a visual in my head. Could you post a picture?

5. LavanderSplash

Jan 7, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    Look up kids play houses :)

6. Mac14

Mac14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2012
    Northern California
    I looked up kids play houses, and it comes up with hundreds of them, from 3x3 to 20x20 so I don't know what is supposed to be looked at. Basically anything can be made into a coop, but pics would help. :)

7. sarasweatman

sarasweatman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    I made one into a duck house. The most important thing is hardware cloth. We covered the whole interior with hardware cloth. We then attached a run to one door and locks to the other door. For chickens you would also need roosts and nest boxes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by