help with an ill roo

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Farmer_Neal, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Farmer_Neal

Farmer_Neal Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2010
    Hello,
    I need help with one of my roos. He seems to be acting sick lately. I first noticed a few days ago he wasn’t his normal self. He didn’t peck around with all the other birds, but kinda just stood off to the side and closed his eyes. And when I checked on him today, he was just sitting in the shade with his eyes closed. I’m really worried about him. Any ideas on what could be wrong with him? Should I separate him from my other birds? What can I do for him? Thaks for any ideas. Sorry if there are any spelling errors, I’m really in a hurry to get this posted so I can help him. Thx!.......Laura

2. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Can you give more info? What are you feeding him? Any other symptoms? Does his poo look normal? Does his crop feel impacted or sour? Did you notice any wounds, mites, lice, worms???

3. chicken crazed 1o1

chicken crazed 1o1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Dugald , Manitoba
    The same thing seems to be wrong with my neighbours rooster too [​IMG] hope he gets well .

4. Farmer_Neal

Apr 6, 2010
    I have been feeding him a mix of oats, corn and crushed soy bean. No other symptoms. I haven't looked at his poo. What does a sour crop feel like???
    Nope, I didn't see any wounds, mites, lice, worms. thanks!

5. NewToFarming

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    His crop will be enlarged and feel squishy, like a balloon filled with water and an impacted crop would be very firm and hard. Also, what breed is your roo?

6. Farmer_Neal

Apr 6, 2010
    He is a Dark Cornish. His crop feels normal. it is just kinda like a deflated balloon but with a bit of corn in it.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  7. NewToFarming

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    I hope someone else can chime in because I am running out of ideas! [​IMG] Is it hot where you live? I know if they get too hot their poo can be more white and watery. Any others in your flock with symptoms? Did you notice if he is eating and drinking OK? I know sometimes it is hard to determine with roos. My head roo will wait for all the girls to eat first.
    I had a bout with mites/lice earlier in the season and they can really make them ill.

8. Farmer_Neal

Apr 6, 2010
    No, it's not too hot, it is around 75*f. No one else seels to be at all sick. I haven't notaced if he is eating or drinking. But that's not strange, cuz I never see him eating.

9. Farmer_Neal

Apr 6, 2010
    Well, thanks for all your input. I guess I’ll just have to wait and see what happens. I’ll be sure to let you know. Thanks so much for all your concern. [​IMG]

10. NewToFarming

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    I hope he gets better for you real soon! Keep an eye on him to see if anything new pops up that might help us figure it out!! I had a leghorn horn that acted the same but never knew why. I had separated her for about 3 days, gave her vitamins in her water and some antibiotics in her water and she perked up and was fine within three days. I never knew what was wrong with her for sure though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by