Help with baby bunnies!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by lamuelaloca, Feb 23, 2016.

1. lamuelaloca

lamuelaloca New Egg

Feb 23, 2016
    I have 5 week old baby bunnies
    One died last night, it looks like the symptoms of cocci I noticed she was thin with a "pot belly"
    But aftervreadingvthis forum I have made a mistake by placing fresh kale and parsley in with the kits!!!!
    what do I do now

2. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    Welcome to BYC, first I would remove them and then keep a close watch on the others

3. IHeartPoultry

IHeartPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Take them to the vet. I think that would be the only way to save them at this point [​IMG]

Also....[​IMG]

4. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    It sounds like mucoid enteritis. The only treatment for it I have been able to find is antibiotics and sulfanamide (sp) drugs. Even then the prognosis is iffy. Are these bunnies for pets or show or meat? If they are pets you can take them to the vet. If they are for meat or show it really isn't worth it. It's up to you. You pays your money and you takes your choice. In any event, chances are even if they survive they won't amount to much. As you found out, giving greens to young bunnies is just asking for trouble. Sorry. If you haven't already done so, I would suggest you get a good beginner's book on rabbits. I like Storey's Guide to Raising Rabbits by Bob Bennett. However, I want to warn you that if your bunnies are strictly for pets you might find the pages on preparing rabbits for the dinner table distressing. You can always skip that part though. Good luck.

5. emmachickgirl

emmachickgirl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2015
    Temecula California
    So this is somewhat on topic to this I just had my Rex give brith on Sunday when they were do today I wasn't home then and they had all died (there was 6) did I do something wrong? Was there a fault in the pregnancy? Please help I don't want it to happen a second time

6. IHeartPoultry

IHeartPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Maybe mom was too young? Did she have a "proper" nest box?

7. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Sometimes things like this happen and in most cases there isn't a whole lot you can do about it. I am assuming the doe was old enough, had a proper nest box, and her own cage. Some does just aren't mature enough and don't take care of their first litter and then do fine with subsequent litters. Some are never good mothers. When I had rabbits, any doe that lost her litter was rebred in a few days. If it happened again she ended up on my dinner table.

8. emmachickgirl

emmachickgirl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2015
    Temecula California
    Yes she had a "proper " nesting box and she is about 9 months

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by