Help with baby chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Von, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Von

Von Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2009
    We just bought several chicks last week - they're probably a week or so old. A couple of them don't seem to be doing well. They both lay with their legs out to their sides and one has some scraping looking areas under a wing. However, when they're startled they both get up and walk and their legs aren't all bent up or contortioned.

We'd considered moving these two to a separate tote, but if they have something contagious the others have probably already contracted it, wouldn't you think?

Thoughts? Suggestions? I'm listenin'.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Any other symptoms? Cuz what you described sounds like two chicks that enjoy sunbathing and/or dustbathing. Are they laying under their heat lamp when they lay on their sides and spread their wings out?

3. Von

Von Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2009
    There really are no other symptoms. They're not enjoying the warmth of the heatlamp, they're lethargic and only move if you reach in or startle them. They're not nearly as active as the rest of the chicks.

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Well...hopefully someone with more experience will advise you. But occasionally a few of mine (a week old) do sleep with their legs out to the side, looking kind of like they're dead. I was worried for a while about my little BO chick because she slept so much more than the other four, but she seems fine other than being calmer and sleeping a bit more.

Are you sure they are lethargic??? Like they never seem energized (other than when you startle them)??? Try giving them a worm or something and see if they run and scramble for a piece.

Any more symptoms??

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  5. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Are these meat birds?

6. Von

Von Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2009
    They're ISA Hubbard Browns.

You're giving me hope - maybe they're just the runts and haven't gotten up to speed yet.

Thanks for the help.

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    If you only have one feeder, I would suggest adding another. Sometimes the weaker smaller chicks can be kept away from the feeder by the stronger bossier chicks, so they don't get their fill. Even if you don't see it happening, believe me it does happen.

8. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    my mom thought one of my chicks was hurt from my 3 year old but it did the same thing with it's wing and leg under the heat lamp... I knew it, but she didn't.

Hopefully your little chick doesn't have anything wrong.

9. tonio

tonio New Egg

Sep 15, 2009
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    I just hatched 17 BO/RIR crosses in my incubator 4-1/2 weeks ago.
    A few were very "Sleepy and would lay down while walking to and from the feeder or waterer, and seemed to sleep more than the others.
    The worst 2 were the also the last 2 that hatched, and also still the smallest of the flock.
    But hey, a month later and all 17 are growing like weeds and very active.
    Of course the last 2 hatched are still the smallest, but they are growing and healthy.
    Also, like gritsar mentioned, I too made sure that the sleepy chicks got there turn at the feeder at least 3-4 times each day for the first couple of weeks to be sure that they got their fill.
    Also, those 2 seemed to stay closest to the heat lamp for the longest time as well.
    Hope this helps.

10. Von

Von Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2009
    I appreciate the suggestions!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by