Help With Baby Chick!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicky2010, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Chicky2010

Chicky2010 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2010
    Hondo
    I just got this baby chick and it hasn't really gotten up. it doesn't open his eyes and he just sits there. he has done that all day. he chirps sometimes. i try to give him food and water. i am very worried for him. the old owner gave him to me because he didn't think he would make it but i got hope for the little guy. any help is appreciated.

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    How old is the chick? He may be too cold - they need a temp. around 95 or so the first week and gradually tapering down as they age. Usually heat is provided by a heat lamp raised over the brooder (or wherever you are keeping him. Put it more to one side, so if the chick feels too warm he will move away. Have you dipped his beak gently into water so he knows that is where he drinks?

If he is newly hatched they can usually go up to 3 days without needing food. Also he could be very tired from the act of pushing out of the egg. Without knowing exactly how old he is it's hard to guess what is going on with him. Give him a stuffed toy or wash cloth he can cuddle up like he would with other chicks. Do you have a picture of him to show his overall condition. I'm assuming he is at least old enough to have his feathers fluffed up and dry.

Please tell us more.

3. Chicky2010

Jun 8, 2010
    Hondo
    i tried to give him water but he started to gasp for air after so i left it alone for right now. i would say he is a couple weeks old? i know the old owner had him for about 5 days.

when i pulled him out of the box with the rest of the chicks they were all running around and stepping on him. he was just laying there with his eyes shut. he is away from them now of course and i been keeping a close eye on him.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. AndreaS

AndreaS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    Hurdle Mills, NC
    Ok, this little one looks to be very young. Like the other poster said, he needs to be warm. A red heat lamp and a thermometer are key here. Set the heat lamp up in a corner hanging above your box that the baby is in. Put the thermometer under it so you can make sure it doesn't get too warm. You want the little one to be able to get away from the heat if he needs to.

What kind of food do you have for him? Hard boil an egg, mash up the yolk, and see if you can get him to eat that.

Pick him up and dip his little beak into the water (don't go up to the nostrils!)
    Try this several times. Mix some honey with the water or put a dab of honey on the tip of his beak with your finger. This might help give him a jump start.

Get some poly-vi-sol infant vitamins from the drug store, the kind without iron. Try giving the baby one drop on the beak line once a day.

Keep tapping your finger in the food and water to try and tempt the little one to eat and drink. Keep dipping its little beak gently in the honey water (or sugar water).

The heat lamp is very important, if you don't have one, get one ASAP. The chick needs to be kept at 95 degrees its first week of life, going down 5 degrees each week, and always with a way to get away from the heat if it needs to.

Also, check its little vent daily for "pasty butt". If poop builds up on the opening it will block the vent and the chick will die. Wipe gently with a warm wet cloth to clean it.

I had two weak chicks that almost died last year and this approach saved them.

Have you raised cchicks before? Do you have other chickens? This little one will need company.

Good luck!
    Andrea

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  5. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Pretty much what Andrea said. Sugary water, mashed yolk, vitamins and heat.
    From his feather development, I'd say he's only about a week old.
    Good luck with him.

6. Chicky2010

Jun 8, 2010
    Hondo
    he died last night. may he rest in chicky heaven [​IMG]

7. Chicky2010

Jun 8, 2010
    Hondo
    this was my first time. not fun when he was already not doing well when given to me. i raise some but the are already full grown.

8. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Awww... Hugs [​IMG] Some of them just aren't strong enough to make it. I'm sure you did your best with him...

9. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    [​IMG]

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    so sorry...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by