Help with Baby Pekin Chick struggling to hatch... PIC Included

JeanGenie

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 30, 2009
Birmingham, UK
Hi all

I have my second hatch coming out as we speak. The rest of my chicks have chipped and escaped without any real problems, except one. She is really struggling to get out. The membrane looks almost dry and stuck to her back and head. I have had a closer look and it feels like rubber and well stuck to her. The temp is 99.2F and humidity is presently reading 82%, which has been fine for the rest so far.

My question is, will she use the hessian mat to maybe rub it off or should I spary some water in to help soften it again. SHe has been hatching now for 38 hours and I must admit after 30 I did chip away at some of the outer shell to help. (Maybe I shouldnt have but I cannot see her just die from complete exhaustion). It seemed to have helped as she is now 90% out except for this bit stuck to her.

I have included a pic in the hope someone more in the know may advise... I have left it large so it's easier to see...

Thanks

Dal

struggle.JPG

Personally, I would reach in and take the baby and shell out, separate it from the shell with a qtip and warm water and then put it in the brooder under a warm light. It will probably sleep quite a bit the first 24 hours, but as long as it is waking up some and trying to get around, it will likely be fine. It only takes a few seconds to scoop up the baby and shell and the humidity and temp should recoup within just a minute or so.

Good luck...keep us posted.

Hi

Thanks for the advice. I have taken her out of the incubator and placed her in the brooder unit to dry out. I managed to get the shell that was stuck to her head off but the little baby has some of the membrane still attached and its dryed out.

Am going to let her warm up a little and the attempt to remove it from her back. She is very lively and now I have placed her with my other chicks they are occasionaly pecking at it so maybe they will get it off... Or not..!!!

Anyway I will post a pic of her after the surgery..lololol

Thanks

Dal

stuck.JPG

I just had to help one of my geese out. It was basically super glued in there.
I got a big towel and bowl of very warm water, a wash cloth and a pair of tweezers. And my glasses ! LOL
I took the egg out and working over the big towel I dipped the washcloth into the warm water and squeezed some onto the egg making sure I wasn't drowning it. I did that several times before I started chipping slowly away at the shell.
I took off the majority of the shell first and left the tough membrane for last.
Then I slowly peeled the membrane back while looking for blood. My thought on this is that if they have pipped and tried for awhile then they are most likely ready to hatch and are not going to bleed to death if we are very careful.
My goose just popped out of the membrane with a little help. Then I wet the wash cloth and washed off as much of the goo as I could and quickly put it back in the incubator to warm and dry.
I made sure through the whole process that I had the egg wrapped in the warm wet washcloth so the baby would not take a chill.

Back
Top Bottom