Help with baby wild turkey!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucie

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 21, 2008
Well, Lucie, a wild turkey that wondered up to our door step, is now about 2 1/2 weeks old and getting bigger by the minute! We live in a wooded area and have wild turkey flocks, sometimes up to 60 to 70 birds, come through.

One of my questions is when can you tell if it is male of female? Do both puff themselves up at this young age or is it restricted to the toms?

We did get a baby chicken to keep her company, that is before we realized we had a turkey on our hands and not a chicken. They have bonded quite well. I am praying the parasite issue does not arise for either.

Since we have been caring for her/him we have kept them in a cage in our living room taking them out for progressively longer periods each day. They both seem quite efficient at hunting for their bugs when outside but still eat greedily when brought back in (of course it does appear that this is just what they do...eat greedily).

Does anyone have any idea how I am to go about releasing the turkey back into the wild? It has gotten so attached to us that it hollers everytime we get out of its sight. It does respond to our voice when inside and settles somewhat when she can't see us. Outside, we just can't get away from her without her getting all stressed out. Lucie has taught the chicken to do the same thing now (they have actually learned quite a bit from one another) so they both act up when we are not around. Please tell me if I have ruined them or not?

Lucie can fly, though I do not know whether she knows instinctively that she must roost in trees at night or that that is where she should go for protection. The chicken I know will have to be penned up as it has no recourse of self protection especially with all the wild animals we have around here.

It has been such an amazing adventure with them, but my concern is what the next step is to be. This is our first exposure to either animal. We are not opposed if she decides to hang around our property after she is grown. We would just like to help her make a smooth transition to and independent, outside world.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom