HELP with BIOSECURITY and PREVENTION OF INFECTIONS questions

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Dar, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    I have see a few posts that have touched on the topic of biosecurity..

I am just wondering what if anything have other BYC'rs have put in place to protect your flock?

I reciently went to the local fair and they had a chicken barn so naturally I had to go in...when i got home my shoes went into a plastic bag until I could clean them...(about an hour)...my process of cleaning them was i sprayed the bottoms and a wee bit up the sides with lysol cleaner and let it sit for a few minutes..then i ran the soles under HOT tap water.

I did this with everyones shoes when we went to the Toronto zoo too cause they have all kinds of birds around..

Did I go over board? or did I not do enough?

I dont wear my everyday runners in the coop I have my coop shoes (they are the fuzzy crocs in pink of course cause my boys wont wear pink shoes...lol ) my children have thier coop shoes too.. but I did not want to track diseases around my yard cause my gals free range in the evening..

I do not let my friends "tour"my coop inless they have on someones coop shoes..

I thnk I am turning into some sort of germaphobe but I would rather wash my hands 100X then to get sick or pass a sickness onto someone else (maybe thats just my nursing background)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2008
  2. Dar

Jul 31, 2008
    can anyone help to answer my question?
    [​IMG]

3. Dar

Jul 31, 2008
    KNOCK KNOCK IS THIS THING ON?.....lol no one is answering me?....

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You are doing exactly the right things!

I practice very tight biosecurity.

Even going to the feed store you should change your shoes before going to your coops.

5. Dar

Jul 31, 2008
    thank you!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by