Help with breed / age please

samanthachicken

Hatching
Jul 27, 2016
uk
Hello, yesterday 2 little chicks were dumped at the pet shop where my niece works. She called me right away and I brought them home. The thing is, I have no idea what breed or roughly how old they are. Any help greatly appreciated .

I could be totally off the mark, but they remind of my meat bird chicks - maybe 2-3 weeks old? Hopefully others will provide clarity.

I believe they are meat birds also probably Cornish x. Meat birds grow extremely fast and need to be "processed ",very young before their legs and organs give out. That is probably why they were dumped. If you make them exercise - putting the feed dish farther and farther away, and maybe even letting them free range with other birds, you may get some more time from them. Otherwise they just sit by the feed dish and will eat almost continually. Some people say to restrict food - 12 hours with food and 12 hours without to try and slow their growth.

welcome-byc.gif

I'm going to disagree.

For the amount of feathering, I'm thinking they'd be a lot larger if they were CX. They also don't seem to have the thick tree trunk legs characteristic of that type.

Not sure what they are, they're too generic looking at this point. I'd grow them out for a few weeks and repost.

16 days later they seem to be getting some dark feathers - we still have no idea if they are meat chicks or not - the little one, Peanut, weighs 282grams and the bigger one 'big bird' is 495grams. Any help would be appreciated. Many thanks :)

Back
Top Bottom