Help with Breed and Gender

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by RhodeIslandRedFan, May 27, 2010.

1. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Hello all [​IMG] We received 2 chicks from a friend. She didn't know their age and was told they were "araucandas" (her pronunciation) and both females. We believe they are both EEs and estimate they are about 5 weeks old now. The smaller brown acted older from the start and was quick to grow feathers. The white/gray one acted younger and was slow to grow feathers, but she or he is much larger. Her (his?) beak, legs, and feet are huge! We are thinking these are signs that this is a male. Can anyone confirm the breed, and is there hope that we have 2 females? I do not want a rooster, but she (he) is way too cute to become chicken soup....Thank you for your help!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ryanhodapp

ryanhodapp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    I am a newby, but I have EE's and they have many more different colors than your grey one. May be it is going to be a silver Ameraucana?

3. RhodeIslandRedFan

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Oh, a different breed would be very exciting! I'm a newbie myself and now have 3 RIRs. Two more different breeds would be fun [​IMG]

4. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it's a rooster. GORGEOUS though. Probably an EE like you suspect.

5. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Its hard to tell the sex...especially on a chick with a rosecomb like EE's and such until they are older...I'd say give it 3 more weeks, if the comb doesnt come more pronounced in sex or color by 3-4 weeks, i'd say a girl. I've got some ameracauna right now with similar coloring to those two. The darker one is definately an ameracauna, the grey/blue looks likes its an EE mixed with something else cause the legs are so yellow. if its mixed with a heavier breed, that can also cause the larger feet. I had a silkie X with a brahma (dont ask how!) and it looked like a silkie except it had the colorings of a dark brahma and some feathering was more 'normal textured' than a silkie....BUT the thing was small up until about 8 weeks old but it had these HUGE feet the entire time...then suddenly...BOOM in like 3 weeks it doubled in size it seemed like.

6. RhodeIslandRedFan

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Thank you all for your help! It's nice to know there is still hope that "Margarite" is a girl and not a roo. I was convinced the huge legs, feet, and beak meant roo. I like the comment I've seen on this website that the only way you can be 100% certain is when it either crows or lays eggs. But, it's so hard waiting to find out and it sure is fun guessing. Any other thoughts would be welcome! [​IMG]

7. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    EE's have pea combs, not rose combs [​IMG] they are definitely both EE's
    I would have to see good pics of their combs to give it a shot [​IMG] but the gray one has the stance of a cockeral....the other one could be pullet but could also be a submissive cockeral (brown ones comb looks a little pink in first pic, is it just the pic or really that color?

8. RhodeIslandRedFan

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Thank you for your comments, klf73. I'm new to chickens and don't know the difference between pea and rose combs - I'll look that up shortly. I enjoy learning new chicken things. Neither has a pink comb. With my luck they will both turn out to be roos. [​IMG]

9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:EE's are a cross breed and not a true breed.
    They can have any type of comb ( Pea, Rose, Single, Walnut etc) they also can come with any color leg, lay any color egg and have any color plumage.

Chris

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  10. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by