Help with breed AND sex, please. *PICS*

eggalitarian

Chirping
10 Years
Jun 1, 2011
Los Angeles
Hey All!
I am flummoxed. I have searched high and low for pictures of all different kinds of breeds... I have even tried to be patient, allowing this chick to just become whatever it is. But now I need to know. This precious little one was my mystery chick. It was the most friendly from day one, and then about two weeks ago, s/he flipped personality and has become very skittish and a holy terror. AND when all my chickens get up on the roost for the night, this one goes on the attack. S/he literally woodpeckers the backs of 3 of my columbian wyandottes and 2 of my dark cornish. I just processed my meaties, so I have no compunction of sending this one to freezer camp too.
hmm.png
I would wait until it was older and bigger, but I would like to know if I should separate this one.

ALL of my chicks are 8 1/2 weeks old.

Here are pictures to help you help me, description and date under each picture:

IMG_1687201166.jpg

three days old, chimpmunk-y, but with a very sharp "widows peak" stripe.

IMG_1758201169.jpg

6 days old, a better view of the stripe point and the feathers coming in are showing a mottled brownish.

IMG_18552011618.jpg

two weeks old. The feathers are all coming in a chocolate grey.

IMG_2090.jpg

fast forward... haha this was yesterday. Am I just not seeing pointed hackle feathers?

IMG_2092.jpg

yesterday, 8 weeks. This is the way s/he walks around the yard. Tail high.

IMG_2097.jpg

AND THIS IS THE DAMAGE IT HAS DONE ON ONE OF MY WYANDOTTES. This is the worst one, but I can't have this, its just sad. I have been putting that 'no-pick tar stuff' on my hurt girls so much that I just have to look for the stained ones.
sad.png

Thanks in advance, cuz I know you all will know what I've got
big_smile.png

Last edited:
He's a definite boy. Would you say he's bantam sized? Kinda looks like an Old English or something along the lines. He's silver duckwing colored, whatever he is.

No Idea... But, I hope you take care of the poor Wyandotte and get the mystery bird out of your flock... who cares what he is if he's not friendly?
Good Luck!

Quote:
Thank you thank you. You are so right. Silver Duckwing OEGB is what is one of the breeds offered on the hatchery site that I got them from, and I too am now sure that is what HE is. I think I also might be a little sad. After you suggested the OEGB, I of course, searched the google.... man oh man, one site says, "hit or miss, birds will either integrate beautifully or not at all, males can be challenging, give space".
Oh well, such are the chicken challenges.
barnie.gif

ETA: yes, he has to be a bantam. I also have Black Australorps and he is half their size.... those he doesn't bother. haha

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks, I'm gonna need your luck. Illia, above post, suggested the OEGB... and now I am sure of it. Of course I go off and say that I have no problems culling this unruly one from the flock, being a bantam, he will only get to be about 24oz. full grown! That's only a pound and a half! ugh... I'm also in Los Angeles county and I really cannot take the chance to "re-home" him, as he would just end up being in a cock fight
hit.gif

oh well.

Quote:
Thanks, I'm gonna need your luck. Illia, above post, suggested the OEGB... and now I am sure of it. Of course I go off and say that I have no problems culling this unruly one from the flock, being a bantam, he will only get to be about 24oz. full grown! That's only a pound and a half! ugh... I'm also in Los Angeles county and I really cannot take the chance to "re-home" him, as he would just end up being in a cock fight
hit.gif

oh well.

Thats horrible (the fighting part). He could also just be acting like a teenager.

I have an Red Pyle OEGB who was about the same age as your's when he started getting hormonal, He'll calm down in a few months, you might need to give him a girl though.. mine doesnt have a girl and at 16 weeks he's trying to mount the RSL girls (which are 3x his size!)

Back
Top Bottom