1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help with breed and sex

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Lagniappe Alpacas, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Lagniappe Alpacas

Lagniappe Alpacas Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2011
    Somerset, Virginia
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I ordered a brown layer assortment and roos were included for packing. The breeds are listed below that were in the assortment and I ordered 3 Americuanas. They are just over 6 weeks old. Boy or girl and what breed? There is also some green coloring in the tail and wing feathers. Thanks for your help.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Breeds that could be included in this assortment are: Golden Buff, White Rock, Barred Rock, Speckled Sussex, Rhode Island Red, Black Australorp, Buff Orpington, Delaware, New Hampshire Rd, Black Jersey Giant, Silver & Golden Laced Wyandotte, Dominique, Columbian Wyandotte, Dark Cornish, Light Brahma, Partridge Rock. [/FONT]

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    looks like a black sexlink, if its that its a hen

1 person likes this.
  3. Lagniappe Alpacas

May 1, 2011
    Somerset, Virginia
    Black sex link is not in the list of breeds. Could it be an Easter egger? That was my guess.

4. Laingcroft

Laingcroft Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    Looks like a cross-bred bird; possibly Gold Laced Wyandotte and Black Australorp. Doesn't look like an EE - no beard and probably a single comb. Pretty bird whatever she is.

5. Lagniappe Alpacas

May 1, 2011
    Somerset, Virginia
    When we picked it up for photos this evening, I was surprised by the green in the feathers and thought that they looked like our Australorp's green. I saw another post here about a Golden Laced Wyandotte that looked similar to this one. I also now see that it had the wrong comb for an EE.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    From the list of choices, I'd say it's the poorest quality gold laced wyandotte I've seen, even from a hatchery. Wrong comb, wrong leg color and poor lacing. Now that I've bashed the poor bird, she could turn out to be your friendliest, best layer! That's the nice thing about those of us who just keep some backyard birds, they don't have to be "perfect" to fit our needs.

1 person likes this.
  7. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    they will include brown egg laying breeds not on their list if they have hatched extras that day, so I would say black sexlink as well.

8. Lagniappe Alpacas

May 1, 2011
    Somerset, Virginia
    Interesting that they would add other breeds not from the list. I'm only looking for production layers right now, so if this is a sex link, I would be more than happy with it. I don't breed, but I sell every egg I can get, so mutts are no issue for me :)

9. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Looks to be a female BSL to me.

10. Lagniappe Alpacas

May 1, 2011
    Somerset, Virginia
    Thanks for the help everyone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by