1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help with breed, gender, and age please!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Jeffross1968, May 15, 2011.

1. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Bought these at auction yesterday. Frankly, they are our first and I kind of went moron when it all started and lost all higher brain function. So now I'm wondering what I ended up with. We bought an older hen, though not sure how old, a youngish rooster, and 4 other youngin's. Would love if someone could tell me the breed of all 6, and gender when possible. Also, if you can give me a ballpark age by looking at the pics, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks....pictures.....here....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    You have a Barred Plymouth Rock hen, a Golden Sebright Rooster and at least 3 young roosters that look like mixed breeds. I can't see the head on the little red one so it's hard to know what that could be.

3. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:x2

4. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Ugh...so probably all roosters on the young ones. How did I do that, LOL...

5. juliechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    Quote:Well, unfortunately that's one way people get rid of extra roosters - at an auction. Sorry!

6. chickengrl

chickengrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Very cute little Sebright rooster. He should stay small. Auctions are where folks go to get rid of older hens who are not producing well anymore, and excess roosters. Unfortunately, people also do not hesitate to offload sick birds too. I am glad you don't have other birds yet since it is very possible these birds have been exposed to some nasty respiratory illness. I don't mean to sound all doom and gloom, but I am not a fan of buying chickens at an auction or swap for that matter. Way too easy to get sick birds. The safest birds are day olds from a NPIP hatchery or very good quality breeder. Also, hatching your own is pretty safe. I learned this through hard experience. We bought 5 chickens at a swap and ended up with 4 roosters and a nasty infection called Infectious laryngotracheitis. It killed other birds we had too. Those folks told us they were hens and took advantage of our inexperience. Never again. Good luck with your new birds. I hope you don't have to deal with any of that.

7. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    What are the identifying factors in those pictures?

8. juliechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    At that age you can look for a more prominent, red comb and the beginning of pointed saddle and hackle feathers. The saddle feathers are the ones that start right above the tail and droop down on both side. Hackles are the feathers on the back of the neck. Do you have another pic of the red chicken? It could be a pullet.

9. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Not sure which one you were talking about...guessing one of the lighter ones? So here is a picture of each...

One on the perch....
    [​IMG]

the one not on a perch...

[​IMG]

If you were speaking about one of the darker ones, let me know and I'll go get pics of each of those...

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  10. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Here is a better picture of the one that was back in the corner. Not sure which one you wanted...

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by