Help with Breed/Gender

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Quackers Mama, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Quackers Mama

Quackers Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can help me in determining Quackers' breed. "He's" about 3 weeks old so I'm not sure if "he" is old enough for a gender to be determined just yet. I've posted in the "Gender/Breed" forum but was told I'd probably get better responses here.

Two people said he might be a Pekin. As I was looking it up I came across the Aylesbury duck. Which are similar to the Pekin but the Pekin have a more upright posture & orange bills. Quackers has a pinkish bill & feet. Which the Aylesbury duck does. Any help will be much appreciated. :)

2. Quackers Mama

Aug 8, 2014
    Houston, TX
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

If better pictures are needed just ask. :)

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quackers looks pretty tiny could he/she be a call duck? Bills a little longish but not all calls have the short round bills. Doesn't look Pekin to me, where did you get Quackers?

4. Quackers Mama

Aug 8, 2014
    Houston, TX
    My daughter got Quackers as a gift a week ago. All we were told was s/he was about a couple weeks old & came from a "litter" of 14. I'll try to see if I can get any more information. My boyfriends cousin got Quackers from a friend of hers.

5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Here's some info we like to give to new duckling owners , any chance Quackers could have a buddy? they do so much better when there are 2, let us know what you find out from the breeder. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

6. Quackers Mama

Aug 8, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Thanks @Miss Lydia I've read that one when I first started lurking around here before joining. :)

I was thinking of asking if they had a sibling for Quackers. Not sure how my boyfriend will react to that. As we have (2): 1 1\2 yr old cats, (3): 6 month old kittens, (3): 4 week old kittens, and 2 dogs lol. He's an animal lover as well, so after telling him it'll be beneficial for Quackers I don't think he'll say no. ;-)

I'll for sure try to find out as much information as I can. Maybe even get a picture of the mama.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Good idea on pic of mama, Sounds like you have a zoo same as most of us on here. lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by