help with breed ID

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Beth0202, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Beth0202

Beth0202 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2013
    Central North Carolina
    I bought these four chicks from a local farm store and I'm just curious if anyone can tell me what kind they are? The owner said they were 'mixed' and didn't know much else. Now I'm wondering if she meant that they are mixed breed 'mutts' or if she just meant different specific breeds mixed together in the same pen and not labled! There were bascially four colors of chicks all running around together in one pen. I got one of each color. [​IMG] Took these photos today (my pomeranian helped with some of them lol) The chicks are about one week old.. They just have nicknames right now based on color [​IMG] I'll give them real names once I get to know them a little better. Thanks!!

#1 'chipmonk'
    This girl is pretty shy and is the second largest chick. She has orange legs
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#2 'Blackie'
    This one is the smallest chick and also the most timid! She has brownish/grey legs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#3 'Ginger'
    The biggest chick of the group, really fluffy and has brownish/grey legs. Also very vocal!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#4 'Blondie'
    My favorite chick! Very curious and friendly. Has the most feathers but not the biggest chick. Bright orange legs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Group
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Brandi Leigh

Brandi Leigh Chillin' With My Peeps

I think Ginger is a Red Sex Link. Blackie and Blondie are probably also production breeds. But they are all sooo darn cute!

3. Beth0202

Mar 23, 2013
    Central North Carolina
    Thanks for your response! I was hoping for lots of brown eggs in the future so maybe I'm in luck! I'm curious to see how they'll look in a few more weeks..

4. Beth0202

Mar 23, 2013
    Central North Carolina
    Just curious if you could list which 'production' breeds you think they might be? I totally new to chicken types and breeds! So, red sex link is a type of production breed? I just hope they are bred to produce eggs! I was reading some other posts on here and now i'm worried about my little pale yellow chick being a cornish-rock.. Does feathering out faster also mean it's growing faster? Maybe it's just a few days older than the others? All opinions are appreciated! Thanks

5. Beth0202

Mar 23, 2013
    Central North Carolina
    Just found out these chicks were NOT sexed!! [​IMG] What are the earliest signs of gender? What on earth im I going to do if I end up with a bunch of roosters! -so dissapointed-

6. Toshi

Toshi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    IN corn state
    Well you know you have 1 for sure hen if Ginger is a sex link, she looks like one. Around 7 weeks maybe even 5 weeks you should be able to tell roo form hen, you can always post picks in here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by