Help with Breed Identification

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ArielleMermaid, Oct 20, 2016.

1. ArielleMermaid

ArielleMermaid New Egg

Oct 20, 2016
    Hey all! I'm new to the chicken world and a new member on here [​IMG] I was wondering if anyone had ideas as to what this girls breed is? She's about 4 1/2 months old. I thought she may be a leghorn, but she has grey legs. Thanks for your input! [​IMG]

2. AustralorpsAU

AustralorpsAU Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Down Under
    Welcome to BYC! Her body shape is about right for a leghorn but as you said, her feet are slate black when they should be yellow for a leghorn. Im not sure on breed then other than it could possibly be a cross???

3. ArielleMermaid

ArielleMermaid New Egg

Oct 20, 2016
    Thank you [​IMG] Yes, that's what I was thinking as far as tail and body shape. I got her from Murray McMurrays, she was supposed to be an araucana, but as she got older I didn't see the "cheeks" on her face. I thought McMurrays only did purebreds, but I really have no idea what she is! Lol Thank you for your reply.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Often times hatchery purebreds(?) are so off the target it's hard to tell if it's poor quality or a mix. Whatever she is, she is lovely

5. ArielleMermaid

ArielleMermaid New Egg

Oct 20, 2016
    Oh, that's good to know. Thank you so much! :) Thanks for your reply.

6. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    probably a whiting true blue. the name is supposed to refer to the eggs, they come in all sorts of colors and kinda look like that.

If she lays blue or green eggs then that is it.

yep go to their whiting true blue, look at the second pic showing a flock of birds and there are a bunch just like her including some whites and mostly whites. problem solved,

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  7. ArielleMermaid

ArielleMermaid New Egg

Oct 20, 2016
    Wow! Thank you so much! I will definitely look into that. A couple more weeks and I will see what she lays. [​IMG] Thank you so much for your response!

8. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    x2, Whiting True Blue. Not doubt.

1 person likes this.
  9. ArielleMermaid

ArielleMermaid New Egg

Oct 20, 2016
    [​IMG]
    If all of these birds have yellow legs, and my girl has grey legs, could she still be a whiting true blue? Other than the legs, she looks exactly like these guys! Could it also be that leg color is unimportant, because this is basically a mutt breed?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  10. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    There are dark legged birds in this picture.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by