1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help with breed (mixes) and sex for 16-week chicks!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by frontrangechick, Sep 11, 2016.

1. frontrangechick

frontrangechick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2014
    Pretty sure I have 3 pullets (no pointed saddle feathers yet, though I'm on the fence about the red bird), but any differing opinions on sex are of course welcome. They are around 16 weeks old.

I bought them from a farm that had the following breeds: Welsummer (pretty sure my red one is a mix of this and..?), RIR, Rhode Island White, Leghorn, Wyandotte, Easter Eggers, Colombian Rock, and Buff Orpingtons. Any guesses as to what mixes my birds are?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
  2. frontrangechick

Jul 23, 2014
    The red one looks very roo-ish up there, but here is a close-up of the saddle. No pointed feathers yet! Thoughts?

[​IMG]

3. lydiagirl99

lydiagirl99 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2016
    Michigan (By The Thumb)
    The red one I'm not sure about but the other 2 look to be hens. The red one has a small comb and wattles but seems it might be getting some pointy, shiny feathers on its neck.

4. lydiagirl99

lydiagirl99 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2016
    Michigan (By The Thumb)
    Could just be a slow developing Roo. Hens won't get the pointed neck feathers

5. frontrangechick

Jul 23, 2014
    That's what I was afraid of, but upon closer inspection, they are rounded neck feathers with pointed dark pigment.

[​IMG]

Here is the Welsummer pullet image on the BYC breed page: http://cdn.backyardchickens.com/5/59/800x600px-LL-59f3da65_IMG_2417.jpeg . Think it's just a coloring thing? (crossing fingers)

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

they all look female.

the reddish bird has a lot of Welsummer, from those breeds. maybe Wellie x RIR.

The lightest bird has a rose comb, so a Wyandotte parent. Unless maybe the RIW were rose combed. She could be a rose combed RIW x colobmian Rock.

The other bird....could be a White x Red or Welsummer.

7. frontrangechick

Jul 23, 2014
    Thanks! That's a relief. I don't need any roos.

I was thinking my red bird might be Wellsummer x RIR, too. I've never had such motley mixes before. They're sort of fun just for backyard layers... it will be interesting to see what they look like full-grown! I won't be breeding them, and hopefully they'll be productive. ;) I'll post new photos as they start laying.

8. Cel45

Cel45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    Pullets for sure if they are 16 wks.

9. autumnlchick

autumnlchick Just Hatched

Sep 11, 2016
    The red one is Definitely part RIR! I can see the diffrence in her from my hen at the neck coloring, but as for the shiny feathers at neck, my RIR hen has somewhat shiny/wet look at the neck also, when she was a teen, I thought she may be a slow roo, but she is all hen, and still shiny a bit at the neck, so if your hoping for a girl,hopefully you will have one dispite the shine ;-)

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with donrae

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by