Help with breed of my new hens

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lizzychick, Aug 11, 2014.

1. lizzychick

lizzychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Chicago Suburbs
    Hi everyone- New to the site, new to raising chickens. I adopted five 1 year old laying hens in April.....and am in LOVE!!! I also just adopted a 9 (?) week old and need help in identifying two of my six ladies. Please help! :) Nutmeg the a light colored one year old bantam that lays small cream colored, very oval eggs. Vanilla Bean (Beanie) is our dark 9ish week old baby that is growing FAST. I have absolutely no clue what the bantam is, but I'm guessing black sexlink or black copper maran for the baby. Any suggestions?? I'll include a pic of them together and separate... thoughts...and go.... :)[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. [​IMG]

The Black/Brown is a Black Star. The Orange/Tan is a Easter Egger (EE).

- BantamLover55

1 person likes this.
  3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG]

Black one: Black Sex-Link
    Lighter one: Mixed breed. Don't know what breeds went into her; it is likely that her ancestors haven't been purebred for several generations.

Both are pretty hens!

1 person likes this.
  4. lizzychick

lizzychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Chicago Suburbs
    Thanks for the quick replies! [​IMG] I thought maybe black star for the chick, but she has black legs, face, comb... and all the pics of black stars had red combs and yellow/tan legs?.?.? interesting. I never would have guessed bantam easter egger- she has no beard... but maybe an easter egger mixed mutt. She is cute, but shy. Thanks again to you both for your input!!! Much appreciated!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by