Help with Breed

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by FamilyD, Dec 30, 2014.

1. FamilyD

FamilyD New Egg

Dec 25, 2014
    Hello,
    I have 4 chickens and 3 are black and one is white and much smaller in size. They are all around 5-6 months old and still waiting for our first egg. Any idea what kind of breed they are? Would love to learn more about them and their future eggs.

Thank you.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

are black and one is white and on the smaller side. They are all around 5-6 months old and still waiting for our first egg. Any idea what kind of breed they are. Would love to learn more about them and their future eggs.

Thank you.

2. jane s chickens

jane s chickens Overrun With Chickens

Nov 10, 2014
    Alabama
    Hard to tell breed of black chickens. Could be Australthrop since they are common and also see some green in feathers.

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree with BantamFan4Life's guesses.

5. FamilyD

FamilyD New Egg

Dec 25, 2014
    Thank you everyone. The Australorps are very friendly with the kids and we just love them. The white one we got the same time and should be 5-6 months old now but maybe we might have to wait a bit longer until it's clear. We saw pictures of sultans and the kids just laughed! What fun!

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X2 on that. Black Australorps are my favorite standard breed. I've raised them for years and they are extremely hardy, calm and gentle (my children, and now my granddaughter, made lap pets of them), and excellent layers of large, brown eggs. Good luck with your flock.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I'm not seeing sultan...they're bearded and have full crests, and profuse leg and foot feathering. She looks like a mix--how feathered are her legs? Does she have five toes?

Are you in the US? That can make a difference, also.

I agree your black birds look like Australorps.

8. FamilyD

FamilyD New Egg

Dec 25, 2014
    We live in US. She has 4 toes and has hair up to her ankles but not on her toes.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If she had clean legs I'd be saying Polish mix, that's really what she looks like to me. But those feathered legs had to come from somewhere. Crest and feathered legs are likely silkie, but a few generations back to lose the other characteristics. She's a cute barnyard mix.

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    So do I.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by