Help with Breeding pens. NEED PICS

aurorarose25

Songster
10 Years
Jun 11, 2009
Mesa, Az
I am starting on a major breeding project and need to set up a LOT of pens. I need ideas of what you guys have so I can use those pics.

I want to put 3 or 4 hens in one pen with a roo. Need at least 10 pens. Need to be space saver and good in heat. If there is something that drowns out or at least muffels the crowing let me know as well. I also have to make a bachelor pen for when I rotate roos out or let them free range.

So send all the pics you can & any ideas would be great help.

Here are some of my breeding & conditioning pens
smile.png

12005_j_529.jpg

12005_j_528.jpg

12005_p8261133.jpg

I use these as breeding pens. I have portable roosts and nesting boxes that I can move in the pens and set up when needed. After breeding season, these pens transform into regular chicken housing where my chickens sleep at night.

6612_breeding_pen1.jpg

6612_breeding_pen.jpg

6612_byc_buff.jpg

Portable Nesting Boxes
6612_nesting_boxes_dog_and_roosters_012.jpg

Portable Roosts designed to fit perfectly inside breeding pens.
6612_portable_roosts.jpg

Attached Brooder Pen (locked door on the right)
6612_byc_close_view.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
WOW!!!! how big is it? How many chickens fit into one pen? Did you make the portable nest boxes and roosts?

The entire building is 30 feet long. Each individual pen is 5x5x6. As far as the number of chickens that can fit in it during breeding season, I put in about 3 or 4 (1 rooster and 3 hens). When the breeding pens turn in to regular chicken roost stalls, 25 chickens can fit comfortably on all 3 roosts but it is NEVER that crowded. I have 11 chicken coops and chicken stalls, so each night the chickens move to a different location. But if need be, I can fit 115 - 125 chickens in all 5 pens just for the night. Then let them out in the morning to free range. All of the portable nest boxes and roosts are made at my house. I don't personally make them but the person who builds all of my chicken "stuff" makes them. He loves building things. All I do is tell him what I want and give him measurements and these items are built. All of the buildings, roosts, nest boxes, etc are all made from FREE recycled wood and pallets. I do not spend any money on wood. I'm very frugral, so I am always hustling and trying to find free wood and chicken wire, nails, etc.

Here are portable feeders that were made as well. These are placed in different locations in the chicken yard, so the chickens, ducks, turkeys and geese can eat at any location.

6612_feeders.jpg

6612_animals_feeding.jpg

6612_all_eating.jpg

Back
Top Bottom