help with breeds and possibly sex!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mrssmith84, Jan 23, 2015.

1. mrssmith84

mrssmith84 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2015
    wildomar california
    Hello. I was told these 4 on the left were Rhode Island reds. I'm having a hard time believing it! Anyone have an idea what this little chicken might be?[​IMG]

We also have 2 black sex links 1 buff cochin 1 barred or black cochin is this their correct names? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Indyshent

Indyshent Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Indianapolis
    The light one that's supposed to be a RIR is a male Red Sex Link (they hatch white or blonde). Otherwise, they could be RIR but likely Red Sex Links instead. If they're bright orange, they're RSL. Darker orange chicks, esp with the chipmunk stripes might be RIR (or more likely "Production Reds"). RSLs are noticeably much lighter than full RIR chicks.

Last arping, we bought three RIR chicks at Rural King, then a week later, my parents came over with two more from a Tractor Supply. The first group was almost a brick color, esp when compared with the blazing orange chicks from Tractor Supply. Depending on cross used to obtain a RSL, they may be different colors as well (varied degrees of orange, but never as dark as a true RIR). One was a little darker and grew up a cinnamon color with a lot of white underfluff. The other grew up and remained very fluffy and blazing orange.

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    That's a good probability. If the three reddish ones develop white feathers in the tail as they mature, then they are indeed Red Sex Links. If they are Red Sex Links, they will be laying machines and you should get loads of eggs from those three girls. Even if they turn out to be Production Reds (no white feathers in the tail), they will still be excellent layers. :eek:)

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x3 on this.

6. mrssmith84

Jan 23, 2015
    wildomar california
    Thanks everyone! Great info! I've only gotten RIR at 6 weeks So this is my first time raising week old chicks. [​IMG]

7. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    x4 on what the others have said

then in answer to your final question....

Yes Black Sex Link (you have 2 from I can see) and 1 Buff Cochin (if the all yellow one has foot feathers) and 1 Black Cochin (I think I see foot feathers on that one)...and that is a Black Cochin not a Barred Cochin as there is no head dot to show barring to come.

Those would be the correct terms...Cochin is the breed, then you add the color.

Black Sex Link is a different hybrid than a Red Sex Link.

Nice little brood.
    LofMc

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Where did they come from?
    I don't think the light chick is a male sex link, it looks like it's getting Wheaton-ish feathers coming in.

9. mrssmith84

Jan 23, 2015
    wildomar california
    The chicks came from a feed store I've never bought from. I guess it's a waiting game from here on out. Lol still keeping my fingers crossed because I've never owned a rooster myself just had them as a child and man them suckers were mean! Haha

10. mrssmith84

Jan 23, 2015
    wildomar california
    They were all hens! The lighter RIR started laying 3 weeks ago!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by